Tom Hiddleston compels as the tragic war hero in Shakespeare’s political Roman drama, says Jess Glass

Coriolanus at the Donmar Warehouse

Coriolanus, with its medley of political ideas about image and heroism, is not a story that might immediately endears itself to the audience. Nor is it one of the Bard’s most famous plays and I must confess, despite adoring Shakespeare, to knowing little about it before attending this production. Upon hearing the announcement of the cast and creative crew, though, I was determined to acquire a ticket.

Director Josie Rourke has made the political themes instantly accessible and engaging, taking full advantage of the intensely physical moments of the play in an incredibly intimate venue. The potent mixture of components such as paint, stones and fireballs echoes the intensity of the warring events on stage. While the original play is based on historical Roman events, Rourke’s production combines the political tensions of Rome with near-dystopian modern elements.

Combined with innovative staging and stunning use of limited props, the production’s cast complete what is a truly stellar production. Tom Hiddleston (Thor, War Horse, Othello) carries the title role exceptionally well, playing the headstrong and noble lead with vigour and depth. His portrayal displays the raw intensity of the play perfectly in every speech and action. Hiddleston’s personal enthusiasm for Shakespeare is apparent in his sheer energy throughout the tense production.

Though much of the appeal (and a great deal of the publicity) has been centred upon Hiddleston, the small supporting cast are almost entirely without fault. While Hiddleston’s Coriolanus evokes the play’s controversies of leadership and loyalty incomparably well, the support of Mark Gatiss (Sherlock, Game of Thrones, 55 Days) as Menenius, loyal friend to Coriolanus, is what carries the production from brilliant to theatrically indescribable.

Witty at times, and soberingly morose at others, Gatiss’ portrayal is in stark contrast to the headstrong character of Hiddleston, creating an unmissable dynamic that fuels event after event. Best known for the emotionless Mycroft Holmes in the BBC’s Sherlock, this performance showcases his talent to a degree that not even his most persistent fans have seen before.

The production itself has so far been incredibly well received, selling out within minutes of tickets going on sale, and prompting the NT Live to screen the production in cinemas worldwide on 30 January.

Filmed theatre has caused controversy in the past, but it cannot be considered a bad thing in general. Theatre is sometimes tainted as being exclusionary, potentially due to the high cost of tickets in most venues and the expense of travel due to a monopoly of shows being in London. Filming of popular productions therefore ensures much increased accessibility. Of course, there are some parts of the theatrical experience that sadly cannot be replicated on a cinema screen, but the opportunity to see fantastic theatre should not be limited to those with the means to afford tickets and travel to London. Many of the arguments regarding the ‘sanctity’ of theatre come from those with means. Personally, I would even favour a commercial release of this production, as good theatre ought to be enjoyed time and time again. Coriolanus is a theatrical event that is surely not to be missed, lest you find yourself falling into the hands of the plebeians surrounding Coriolanus’s Rome.

Coriolanus is playing at the Donmar Warehouse until 8 February. Day release tickets are available from the Box Office. NT Live screenings are on 30 January.