Community Series Blog: Basic Intergluteal Numismatics

The third episode of the Harmon-led fifth season of Community treats us to the kind of episode that came to characterise some of the best of seasons 2 and 3 – the extended parody. We’ve had Law and Order, a History Channel documentary, and now we have the crime film, namely those of David Fincher.

In this instalment, the students of Greendale become victim to the wrath of the ‘Ass Crack Bandit’ – a dastardly fiend who has been laying traps in order to get people to bend over, thus allowing him/her to take advantage and place a penny down the unsuspecting victim’s exposed ‘butt crack’.

With the Dean not taking correct action, Annie and Jeff feel inspired to take the case on and bring the Bandit to justice.

‘Basic Intergluteal Numismatics’ is Community at its silliest and wittiest. While it comes close to simply repeating beats of the Law and Order episode ‘Basic Lupine Urology’ back in Season 3, there is enough of a distinction within both the visuals (they simply scream Zodiac) and the content of the episode.

What sets aside this particular parody episode is the revelations it has within it.

It is rare for an extended parody episode of Community to drop many major series developments within their run-time. But, as witnessed in last week’s two-parter premiere, this Community is playing by a new rule book.

[This episode] is Community at its silliest and wittiest

Old characters return with a surprising amount of relevance, while one well-handled emotional beat in the final moments declares that there is no chance of seeing one certain character ever again.

The cast are all engaging, with John Oliver finally returning as Professor Duncan, the details of which are rightly skirted over in favour of moving the plot and the investigation forward.

The humour of this episode relies on one’s knowledge of crime thriller conventions and the work of Fincher, but also resides gleefully in the juvenile joys of employing the use of the word ‘butt’.

If I am to have any qualm with the episode, it lies in the reigniting of the Jeff – Annie flirtation. It was a story thread that I personally thought was done with, and the way in which it is brought back to the forefront appears a tad forced.

The characters themselves do not seem to pay too much attention to it, which thankfully allows the thread to fall into the background again. But should this be the first sign of exploring the romance between the pair once more, I for one am not overly keen on re-visiting a tired thread.

While not certainly one of the best we’ve seen from the halls of Greendale, the third instalment maintains the confidence of the first two episodes and confirms that season five is a different animal which is well worth your time.