The Boxing Day reads that we received…

[dropcap]A[/dropcap] lthough we may not like to admit it, giving and receiving presents is probably one of the most exciting as- pects of the festive season. My presents this Christmas included the inevitable chocolate and bathroom products (which I’ve come to appreciate the value of since being at uni), shot glasses to replace those lost in term one, clothes, perfume, jewellery, and books. Lots of books.

book xmas treeAdmittedly, a book is a more modest gift than others, but for me the excitement of new reads is incomparable to any amount of cheques or clothes. It seems there’s some- thing special about receiving, and indeed giv- ing, the gift of literature, but what exactly is it that means books remain a popular, failsafe gift idea? Literature, for one thing, is timeless.

Whilst games, phones, clothes, and so on, will go through phases of being the most de- sired gift for the year, the printed word is, and always has been, an intrinsic part of our cul- ture- it’s not something that goes out of style. The variety of authors and genres available mean it’s impossible for books to become a repetitive present. They also make for a very personal gift, which gives them the edge over money and vouchers.

When you receive a book based around your own interests, it’s clear the person knows you and has spent time choosing the perfect present. This is why books are an equally popular choice for gifts to give to others, solving the problem of wanting to give some- thing thoughtful without breaking the bank. Literature is so wonderfully diverse that there really is something for everyone. Of course, there are those who say they don’t like reading, but that shouldn’t put you off. J.K. Rowling once said that ‘if you don’t like to read, you haven’t found the right book’ and any bookworm would argue this is true. Reading has so much to offer, constantly opening our minds to new experiences and emotions, a form of escapism and education available to us whenever and wherever we choose… introducing this to someone seems like a pretty good gift.

[pullquote style=”right” quote=”dark”]J.K Rowling once said that ‘if you don’t like to read, you haven’t found the right book’ [/pullquote]

Even avid readers with well-established preferences are likely to be pleasantly sur- prised to be able to try something new. This Christmas, whilst I’m excited to delve into some of the latest offerings from my favourite authors, I’m most looking forward to reading my first autobiography I am Malala by Mala- la Yousafzai, the heroic girl who risked her life for the right to education.

Ultimately, what sets books apart from other presents is that you’re getting not just a material item, but a unique experience.

Not to mention their practical appeal: reading gives you something to do between Christmas and New Year when you can’t face another game of Monopoly; it’s an excuse to stay curled up by the fire and, for students, a welcome distraction from reading lists.