Escape those summer crowds and hit the beach this winter! (Source: Flickr:haglundc)

Blizzard beach versus summer sand

A winter beach break!

Why do we neglect our beaches in the winter? Surely it’s obvious: the freezing weather. People head to the beach for sun, surf and ice cream. Unless you fancy turning into an icicle, beaches are not usually recommended once the temperature drops below 15 degrees.

However, if you are currently dreaming of a weekend away, consider the fact that nowhere in Britain is more than 75 miles from the coast. If you only visit the beach during the measly summer months, you risk missing some of the best scenery our island has to offer.

From Cornwall up to Scotland and Devon across to Essex, the coastline is at its most epically beautiful in the coldest season. The Cornish coast during these months will make you feel like you’re in a Daphne du Maurier novel: waves crash against cliffs and coves become the backdrop for a ghost story; beaches in Scotland take on a Scandinavian feel with their snowy setting. Even closer, a winterised Weston-Super-Mare offers a quiet stretch perfect for a Sunday walk and plenty of pubs to warm up in on your return.

So avoid the summer crowds, experience the beautiful scenery and visit the pub afterwards. Winter beaches sound pretty perfect to me.