The Awards Blog #4: The 2014 Golden Globes Winners

“A very good evening to everyone here in the room, and to all the women and gay men watching at home.” You could tell it was going to be a good night when Tina Fey and Amy Poehler started the show with a cracking opening monologue. As far as the hosting went, it was a resounding success and you could tell why Fey and Poehler have been invited back by the HFPA to run the show again next year. “Because this is Hollywood and if something kinda works they’ll just keep doing it until everybody hates it.” Okay, last time I quote them. I promise.

The actual ceremony was fun too, although quite a few speeches faltered into incoherent ramblings that had to be played off by the band. Then again, that is the selling point of the Globes. Not the incoherent ramblings, necessarily, but the informal nature of it all, compounded by copious amounts of alcohol. Just ask Emma Thompson and Cate Blanchett.

2014-golden-globes-best-moments-photo-lead

Most of the winners went according to form and I am happy to say that 8 out of the 14 winners were successfully predicted in a previous blog post, with 2 more going to the runner-up choices. American Hustle came away as the biggest winner of the night, picking up Best Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical, Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical (Amy Adams), and Best Performance by a Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture (Jennifer Lawrence). Adams’ win was probably the least expected and you could tell she was genuinely shocked. Then again, so was Lawrence, and she was a co-favourite with Lupita Nyong’o.

Nyong’o’s loss characterised a night of disappointments for 12 Years a Slave as it failed to pick up more than one trophy out of a possible seven. Still, a win for Best Motion Picture – Drama is hardly a bad thing. Chiwetel Ejiofor lost out to Matthew McConaughey for Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama. McConaughey’s win was one of two for Dallas Buyers Club, the other being the expected victory for Jared Leto in the Best Performance by a Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture category.

36033

Like 12 Years a Slave, all the other wins represented lone victories for their respective films.Leonardo Dicaprio (The Wolf of Wall Street) and Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine) took home the remaining lead acting trophies. Spike Jonze won the Screenplay award for Her although the highlight of that particular win was Emma Thompson’s inebriated presenting skills. Alfonso Cuarón won for Best Director (Gravity) and gave a sweet but slightly rambling speech that involved making fun of his own accent. It is a good thing he is such a talented filmmaker.

The Great Beauty probably caused the biggest upset of the night, winning for Best Foreign Language Film over critical darling Blue is the Warmest Colour. Frozen won for Best Animated Feature, All is Lost won for Best Original Score, and Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom saw Bono win Best Original Song with “Ordinary Love”. All in all, it was an entertaining start to the major awards season. With the Oscar nominations and the SAG Awards both held later this week, look out for more posts as we continue to bring you the best of this year’s film awards.

(Header Image Source, Image 1, Image 2)