The new BSc is run jointly by the Department of Statistics and Computer Science

Warwick unveils two new degrees

The University of Warwick has introduced two new degrees- BSC Data Science and MA Creative and Media Enterprises.

BSC Data Science is aimed at students who are interested in data interpretation and provides technical skills needed to do the same.

The University is the first in the UK to launch a BSC Data Science program, and is promoting the degree through the Warwick Data Science Challenge 2014, which is aimed at A-level students, or anyone else considering a career in data science.

Offered jointly by the departments of statistics and computer science, this three-year course offers career opportunities in information technology, manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, finance, telecoms and market research.

First-year engineering student Alex Bucknall commented: “Huge amounts of data are produced every second and it’s crucial to be able to construct detailed summaries of what is taking place. This new degree gives mathematicians the essential tools for tackling such problems.”

The MA in Creative and Media Enterprises offers a fresh perspective on creativity and strategic management. It is aimed at providing insight into cultural industries and equips students with the skills and knowledge required to commercialise ideas and run a successful business.

A combination of innovation and theoretical analysis, this course aims to give a critical overview of the commercial, legal and cultural frameworks within which creative and media enterprises operate.

In addition to the core modules, students get to choose a proportion of practical and theoretical work from a variety of available options.

The course is flexible and can be taken full time over one year or part time over two years.