Student houses in Leamington Spa will be affected. Photo: Warwick Media Library

Warwick District Council introduces tighter controls over ‘multiple living’

Warwick District Council is to limit the number of student houses and houses of multiple occupancy (HMO) in Leamington and across the district.

The new interim policy – adopted by the executive committee – aims to combat the “significant loss of amenity” in the area associated with student homes with problems including noise, litter and vacant housing during the University holidays.

The policy will apply to applications for development and changes of use across the Leamington area, with exceptions to house-to-HMO applications of up to six occupants.

The policy will be relaxed for applications located on the campuses of University of Warwick and Warwickshire College, and on main thoroughfares in a mixed-use area that do not bring excessive activity in a residential space.

Stricter planning permission will be introduced for student accommodation and HMOs. It dictates that the proportion of HMOs within a 100 metre radius of a proposed property should not exceed 10 percent and that it must be within 400 metres of a bus stop.

Furthermore, the storage of refuse containers should not obstruct public view and should be moved to a collection point through an external route.

Jerry Weber, Labour councillor for Leamington Clarendon is confident that the new policy will bring “a more balanced approach to approving HMO planning applications and develop more balanced communities”.

Mr Weber added that though students bring vitality to the environment, problems concerning HMOs cannot be neglected.

Concerns have been raised by students on whether or not the policy will reduce the supply of houses which could result in increased rental costs or the necessity to live in alternative areas.

Becky Long, a Film and Literature finalist, expressed concern that the council’s new plans would push the cost of living up for students. She said: “Stricter planning permission for student accommodation will make it even harder for students both international and from the UK to find somewhere to live locally.

“Henry Smith, a fourth-year Mechanical Engineering student, said: “Students bring a lot to the local communities, especially in terms of business to retailers, pubs and cafes.

“I don’t believe [the policy] will be a disadvantage to students, there has always tended to be adequate housing supply.”