Photo: Warwick Media Library

Undergrad bursaries and scholarships undergoing cuts

Warwick undergraduate scholarships and bursaries are undergoing cuts for 2014 entry students.

Bursaries for students with a family income of less than £25,000 have been reduced from £2,500 to £1000.

Students in the £25,000-£36,000 category will receive £500 less than the previous amount.

The threshold for the third category has increased from £42,611 to £42,620, however. The bursary amount has stayed at £500.

Reductions follow nationwide cuts to the National Scholarship Programme (NSP) after government allocation of public money was reduced by £100m for 2014-15.

The announcement was made by the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) after a spending review this summer.

With the rise in fees many fear the bursary cuts will deter poorer students from applying to university.

Warwick students receiving bursaries have commented on the future cuts.

Victoria McKeever and Alison Oates, both final-year French and History students, said the bursaries have helped them a lot during university.

Mairead Loftus, a French and History finalist, said: “I think whilst the cuts may not necessarily affect application rates they will have a negative effect on the lives of low-income students.”

Peter Dunn, a spokesperson for Warwick University, said: “We will do all that we are able to within the context of this change.”

BIS announced their intention to end the undergraduate National Scholarship Programme (NSP) after 2014-15.

BIS said: “That decision was based on evaluation which has shown that there are more valuable ways of widening access and enlarging the choices students make about higher education.”

They added that the £50 million will be targeted towards students in most need of help.

2012 and 2013 entry students will not be affected by the cuts.

2014 entry undergraduates with a family income of less than £25,000 will have the opportunity to choose between a fee-waiver and a £2,000 accommodation discount.