Science is set to benefit from the funding package. Photo; Warwick University

Science and Engineering receive £350 million grant

Warwick University has received part of a £350 million funding package to expand the science and engineering departments.

The investment will go towards creating four new Centres for Doctoral Training (CDTs) focusing on real-world mathematics, molecular analysis, cities, and diamonds.

The £350 million is spread across more than 70 new CDTs and 24 UK universities, with the exact amount Warwick has received, not yet disclosed. These centres will be funded for four years.

The Universities Minister David Willetts commented: “Scientists and engineers are vital to our economy and society.

“This type of collaboration is a key element of our industrial strategy and will continue to keep us at the forefront of the global science race.”

Some Humanities students expressed annoyance at the lack of funding given to their departments in contrast to engineering, which has received a several grants in the past few years.

Alex Webster, first-year English Literature undergraduate said:“I would prefer it if there were more obvious opportunities for funding if you wanted to do a Postgraduate degree in the Humanities department, which there currently aren’t.”

Dani Boughey, first-year Theatre and Performance Studies Undergraduate commented: “It’s a bit unfair seeing as the Theatre and Performance department and other small departments should get more money.

“As well as that, they already get the chance to take a year abroad in America and we don’t, which I would love to do.”

However, Emily Jull, first-year History undergraduate disagreed. She said:  “I agree with it, the Government should be spending more money on engineering.

“Creating positions for engineers as graduates will lead to an increase in apprenticeships and labour which is what the country needs in this recession. This will eventually lead for more funding for humanities, which is a good thing.”

Many Engineering students were happy with the investment. Disath David, a first-year Engineering undergraduate stated: “It’s money well spent!”