Dazzling debut: Warwick Surf came second in their first ever CMD performance. photo: Rhys Thomas

Men’s Hockey win CMD Sport Relief dance-off

Men’s Hockey sealed their third triumph in four years in CMD Sport Relief 2013, pipping debutants Surf to the much-coveted trophy in front of a raucous crowd in the Copper Rooms.

More importantly, though, 11 sports clubs had raised over £2000 for charity between them at the time of writing after a magnificent night of creativity and good-natured competition.

As The Boar reported last week, Men’s Hockey were following a strict diet and exercise regime to give themselves the best opportunity of retaining their status as the best dancers within Warwick Sport.

It certainly paid off as the performers eschewed their hockey sticks in favour of a highly professional and meticulously-choreographed display.

Tom Metcalf, a member of the winning team, admitted that he was genuinely surprised to retain the title given the “improved standards” of competitors.

“We were really impressed with the other clubs,” he said. “When Surf were announced as runners-up we thought we had lost out, as there were other teams we thought had it in the bag.

“When we were announced as the winners we were shocked and ecstatic. It seems our originality and precision pulled us through.

“We know it’s all for charity and it’s the taking part that counts, but we do like to win too!”

Surf, though, will count themselves unfortunate not to have won after a playful and occasionally salacious production.

Male competitors used towels creatively – to avoid putting it crudely – and the whole team dropped their shorts to reveal underpants spelling ‘SURF’ in a risque final flourish.

Rowing provided a brief and largely topless entry, while Athletics impressed with both their ‘118’ costumes and energetic performance.

From Snow’s backflips to Cricket’s convincingly seductive sashaying to Jason Derulo’s ‘Talk Dirty’, from Women’s Football’s innovative use of lighting to Tennis’ slow-motion enactment of a point being played on court, there was plenty to admire.

Gabriela Lancaster, president of CMD and participant in the club’s exquisite introductory performance, was delighted with the event.

“We were so impressed with all the performances,” she said.

“The competition was even tougher this year and everyone really stepped it up. We definitely spotted some talent and think some people should consider joining CMD.

“Congratulations to Men’s Hockey for defending their title, and to Surf for their brilliant debut.”

Meanwhile Camilla English, who was in charge of Athletics’ entry, spoke of her delight at the team’s performance.

“I am so proud of the athletics dance troupe,” she said. “A week before, I was very worried, but they all worked hard to make the routine perfect.

“The best part for me though was how much fun everyone had – it was such an upbeat and high-spirited event.”

Can anybody break Men’s Hockey’s stranglehold on this event? It is a question worth asking.