Expanding the web: Spider-Man spin-offs and their potential

It has finally happened. Sony has stepped into the franchise-building fray that Disney (specifically, Marvel Studios) has dominated over the past decade and which DC has been trying to tackle for a while now. Spider-Man is being given the spin-off treatment, with two films announced for Venom and the Sinister Six, sending the fandom into a state of frenzy.

Whether the films themselves will be any good remains to be seen – no script has been penned, let alone cast and crew announcements – but I, for one, am quite excited at the prospects of an expanded Spider-Man universe. For starters, the characters chosen for the spin-offs are fantastic. Venom is one of Marvel’s most complex and formidable villains. He was sadly butchered in Spider-Man 3, so giving him his own film is a fantastic way to redeem the character. Meanwhile, the Sinister Six, a team of super-villains comprising of Electro (to be seen in The Amazing Spider-Man 2), Doctor Octopus, Sandman (both appeared in Sam Raimi’s trilogy), Vulture, Mysterio and Kraven the Hunter, should provide an interesting narrative counter-point to the superhero team formula of the Avengers and the Justice League.

Although there is no official word on what comics will be adapted, both Venom and the Sinister Six have some fantastic story arcs that should guarantee a wealth of sources to mine. Venom has even had his own comic book series, so finding a way to focus an entire film on him should not be an issue. He has been, in turn, a clear antagonist, a reluctant protagonist and a tragic anti-hero, so any risk of him returning as a whiny alien-enhanced brat are miniscule. The Sinister Six might be a little more the_sinister_six_by_d_mac-d59t30lproblematic. However, there are several possible ways to bring them together, each one providing their own challenges and pay-offs.

An origin story might be the easiest way to go, but this could be approached in multiple ways – either as a series of mini-films like Batman: Gotham Knight or using Electro, who will already have been introduced, as the focal point. There is also the tantalising possibility of Spider-Man, or at least Peter Parker, being completely eliminated from the equation ahead of the film. Andrew Garfield has confirmed that he has signed on for a third outing, but he has not signed on for the already-announced The Amazing Spider-Man 4. This could mean that he is killed off in part 3 as has been the case in some comic iterations, possibly by Venom, with the Sinister Six film showing how New York is faring post-Parker and part 4 being used to introduce a new Spider-Man (like Miles Morales, the new Spider-Man in the Ultimate universe).

The story potentials are limitless, with the anticipation and frustration being compounded by the lack of an official release schedule. It would be silly to think that the decision was made hastily; while the announcement only came out earlier this month, references to Vulture and Doctor Octopus can be seen in the trailer for The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Along with Electro’s obvious presence, it looks like Sony has been planning this for a while now. Naturally, a well-planned approach is all the more reassuring. The X-Men universe has also been expanding, with the original cast meeting the First Class group in the upcoming Days of Future Past, and a sequel, The Age of Apocalypse already having been announced for 2016. Sony seems to be well-prepared to tackle the MCU and DC, and I am certainly excited to see how this pans out.

(Header Image Source, Image 1)