There's more to Windsor than just its famous castle (photo: flickr/Charles D P Miller)

Wonders and worries in Windsor

Spending the entirety of the summer working in an office in central Windsor, I was soon exposed to both the highlights and lowlights of the sunny, idealistic days and raucous nightlife. With 26,000 residents, not including tourists or commuters, living in this ideally located, yet rather small, antique town about 20 miles west of London, there are always going to be a few issues.

Not only does the location of the town allow it to be a convenient stop-over for anyone visiting London, but the multitude of attractions the town holds also ensures it has the potential to be an enjoyable and culturally rich trip for anyone. These range from the internationally famous theme park, Legoland, for children, to the castle itself for the older visitor, to Ascot, which is situated in a neighbouring town. Moreover, the sheer availability of nightlife ensures it could offer an unforgettable (or rather, definitely forgettable) evening for young people.

However, over summer increasing concerns have developed regarding the safety of its residents and tourists. Windsor has long had a reputation for pickpocketing in the local county, which, with its crop of wealthy residents and tourists often carrying around reasonably large sums of cash on their person, is somewhat inevitable. Yet crime there has recently assumed a darker nature. Within the space of three months, two extremely serious incidents occurred which shook the atmosphere of the town.

The first occurred when a teenage girl on a club night out drunkenly attempted to take a taxi home. Unfortunately, the taxi she entered was not legitimate; instead of taking her home this man appropriated her to an agreed place, where a few of his associates were. Here, they gang raped her. The fact that this horrific incident happened outside one of the most popular clubs in Windsor created a wave of fear in the town and its surrounding area, as girls now became incredibly wary of going out clubbing in the town without being in a group of mixed gender.

The second ended also ended in fear-inducing fashion. A 24-year-old man was walking home from a club in Windsor when he was attacked by a group of men. Upon engaging in a fight with them, the man was stabbed and died the same night. This happened a mere five minute walk away from where the above incident occurred. Again, this shocked the residents of the town who are accustomed to seeing Windsor as a peaceful town in which one is safe.

The combination of these two incidents dramatically altered the way in which residents, at least, viewed the town. This fear became such a large issue that after the second incident had taken place, policing of the streets became much more rigorous.

A week afterwards, I attended a nightclub adjacent to the one outside which the girl had been seized upon, and noticed two police vans stationary outside of it for the entirety of the night, whilst a number of policemen patrolled the taxi ranks. This serious increase in security was clearly a relief to many young people who wished to attend the club, as a number of people during the night commented that they would have remained at home had there not been such clear police support.

Although this may make Windsor seem a less desirable tourist destination, do not be too deterred. The level of crime compared with other areas in Berkshire is low, and with the sheer amount of people who visit this small town, especially over the summer months, conflict is more likely. The strength of the police force was made clear this summer in their control of the nightlife, meaning that this has now become a much more safe experience.

Also, the benefits of visiting such a picturesque town far outweigh the risks. During the summertime, with the sun glittering on the Thames, there are a huge range of activities – even just on the river itself. Thus, if you are offered the opportunity to spend a couple of nights there, you will not regret doing so. With theatres, a range of restaurants and, of course, the much-needed array of high-end shops, it might even be the perfect affordable romantic retreat for two.

But it may just be worth keeping your wits about you as you enjoy the sights Windsor has to offer.