WMR's existing USAR robot; Photo: WMR

WMR builds new robot for Robocup competition

Warwick Mobile Robotics (WMR) have launched design specifications for a new robot to participate in the Robocup Rescue German Open 2014 in Magdeburg.

WMR is a community of Warwick academics undertaking a series of mobile robotics projects.

The aim of the Robocup Rescue competition, which will run from 3-5 April 2014, is to build a search and rescue robot which can operate autonomously in a simulated environment, like a collapsed building, to detect disaster victims.

Chris Chavasse, project manager of the WMR Search and Rescue Team, told the Boar: “This year the WMR team is looking at improving the existing Urban Search and Rescue (USAR) robot and also designing and building a M-USAR (Mini Urban Search and Rescue) Robot.”

The new M-USAR robot will work simultaneously with the existing USAR robot. It will be reduced to half the size of the older robot in order to be able to get into confined spaces of the simulated environment.

Chris revealed that last year, there were problems with the communication system of the USAR Robot: “We were unable to communicate with the robot over a short range, especially with other devices connected to the same wi-fi network.

“We aim to make small modifications to the existing USAR robot to improve communications and object manipulation, mainly focusing on driver training.”

“We are going to add mapping capabilities with SLAM technology and work on developing the robots autonomy.

WMR’s developed USAR robot will feature a visible spectrum camera, an infrared camera, an audio sensor, a carbon dioxide sensor for life sign detection, a laser detection and ranging sensor which can be used to map out the robot’s surroundings and tracks and flippers for all-terrain mobility.

Additional features include a warning system for collision detection, toppling prevention and device errors as well as a gripper for delivering water bottles.

He added: “Hopefully, we will come first in this competition and get more sponsorship for the upcoming World Championship in Brazil.”

Previously, WMR’s USAR robot won second place and best in class for Mobility and Maneuverability at the European RoboCup Rescue Championship in 2012.

In the World Championship 2013 last year, WMR’s robot was also ranked tenth out of 18 participants worldwide.

The WMR Search and Rescue team are currently seeking sponsorship to complete the design of the new robot and enable it to compete in the 2014 competition. Anyone interested should contact WMR on mobilerobotics@eng.warwick.ac.uk or call on 07593149898.

Photos of WMR’s existing USAR robot below: