Photo; Monash University

Warwick-Monash receives grant

The Monash-Warwick Alliance has received a double award from an Australian funding body for research into superannuation and ageing societies.

The Vice-President of the Warwick-Monash Alliance, Andrew Coats commented: “These are great successes and demonstrate the value of the unique Warwick-Monash Alliance.

“The value of the combined strengths of Monash and Warwick is recognised by awards such as these across the breadth of the Universities.”

Monash, in Melbourne, formed a partnership with Warwick in 2012.

The Alliance aims to establish both as “globally connected universities, bringing education into a 21st century world,” whilst also “offering an enhanced student experience to both undergraduates and postgraduates.”

Students expressed mixed opinions on the partnership and grant. Second-year History student Alex Schiphorst was positive.

He said: “Having recently applied for a year abroad at Monash University, I value the alliance.

“I believe it can pave the way for more successful joint-research programs, and for the growth and development of a globalised and internationally interactive academic system.

“The alliance has displayed, through its year abroad agenda, its importance to students who wish to take part and benefit from an increasingly global educational system.”

Second-year Harry Haslam took a more cautious approach: “The ideas of ‘globally connected universities,’ and ‘bringing education into a 21st century world,’ are slightly woolly concepts.

“I think we need to see more from both than a research award before we can say whether it will be a benefit to Warwick University students.”

Ruth Pearce, a fourth-year PhD student working in the sociology department, described the collaboration as a “vanity project”, obstructing fair pay for university lecturers, at the first Student Council meeting in October.

Peter Dunn, head of communications for Warwick, responded to these comments.

“The alliance is a direct consequence of the University’s Vision 2015 strategy.

“It has been very, very active in delivering that specific student focus.”

Mr Dunn referenced recent sporting events, such as a motor racing clash between the two universities, and three joint research student PhDs to justify his point.

“In short, there has been an enormous amount of benefit to students and activity by Warwick students in the alliance.

“I do not know how [someome] who was interested in the work of the Alliance could have missed all of that.”