Photo: Times Education

Warwick celebrates grant success

Warwick has amassed grants to the value of £45 million in the past few years and has one of the highest success rates in receiving grants, according to a recent study.

The Times Higher Education’s annual analysis of the grant income table found that Warwick had one of the highest success rates among institutions that submitted more than 50 applications for grants (34 percent).

It was beaten only by Durham University (44 percent), the University of York (38 percent) and Newcastle University (35 percent).

University College London (UCL) topped the grant income table as the institution that had amassed the most money in research funding.

UCL won grants worth £135 million in 2012-13 at a success rate of 33 percent by the number of applications.
This is £31 million more than any other institution in the past financial year.

The lowest success rate for such institutions – 19 percent – was recorded by the universities of Surrey and Swansea. Queen Mary, University of London, also recorded a relatively low success rate (20 percent). However, the value of awards enjoyed by all three institutions rose significantly: by 73, 239 and 164 per cent, respectively.

A spokesperson from Warwick University commented: “One key reason for Warwick’s success is global research priorities where the university had critical mass and disciplinary expertise and which seems to be aligned with funders’ priorities.

“Most of the growth in research funding this year for us has come from two science research councils, so for Warwick to do well as a multi-disciplinary university against some that are more science-focused it’s even more of achievement.”
“Warwick is also not 50 years old yet it is ranked in top ten for research income in this table alongside Cambridge, Oxford and UCL.”