campaign
Photo: WBS

WBS extension building under development

The Warwick Business School (WBS) extension building is currently under development, after plans for the building were announced last year.

The work in progress near the WBS building entails a five-storey expansion, scheduled to be completed in the spring of 2015.

The project is being funded by the University at a budget estimate of £24m, heeding to the request of the WBS.

As reported by Ashley Potter, press and PR officer at the University, the key areas of interest in the new building will be the 292 and 120 seat lecture theatres, nine seminar rooms, cafeteria, behavioural science laboratory and new reception area.

The building will also incorporate separate learning space for both postgraduates and undergraduates.

Professor Mark Taylor, dean of WBS, said: “This is an exciting development for the Warwick Business School and another step in our target to become the best university-based business school in Europe.

“We want to have the top facilities to help turn our students into the entrepreneurs and business leaders of the future.

This extension emphasises our commitment to the very best in teaching and research, research that will not only benefit students but the business world as well.”

“We could definitely do with a bigger working space” said Alison Collins, careers consultant at WBS, when asked about what she thinks of the project.

Energy price rises have a global impact, therefore the University has made an earnest attempt to use state-of-the-art technology and aims to make use of photovoltaics to produce electricity for the building thereby reducing the carbon impact.

Dev, Business Administration student at the WBS, added: “It is a good decision. WBS as a business school is highly regarded across the world and having an exceptional infrastructure is of immense importance.”

The WBS extension project, however, has come at a time in the year where there has been prolonged housing controversy, leaving more than 200 students in hotel rooms without permanent accommodation.

Click here to see the design plans of the WBS extension building