Photo: Warwick Media Library

Universities looking beyond grades

Increasing numbers of UK universities are using contextual information, not just academic grades, to decide which students are given places.

This comes in light of recent controversy over the fairness of university admissions, particularly for ethnic minorities and students from disadvantaged backgrounds.

Research carried out by the independent body Supporting Professionalism in Admissions (SPA) shows that of the 67 institutions who responded to their survey, 37 percent said they used contextual data and most of the others planned to do so too.

The University of Warwick is one such institution that uses contextual data.

The University’s admissions policy states that: “Our recruitment and application processes are designed to support students with the potential to succeed at the University.

“We are committed to ensuring that every application is treated fairly and judged on its merits.

“Contextual data will be used in selection decisions during the main admissions cycle for only a small number of pilot courses in the 2013 admissions cycle, and these pilots will contribute towards research into possible further use of contextual data.

“Students identified as disadvantaged may preferentially receive offers from the University although the grades required will be consistent with those for other candidates.”

Katie Doyle, a second-year Psychology student, does not believe personal data should be taken into account by admissions officers.

Ms Doyle commented: “I don’t think [contextual data] really matters.

“I don’t see why [universities] need it.

“It’s quite personal. [Universities] shouldn’t make a decision based on that.”

Divya Puri, a second-year Law student looking back on her own experience said: “There is more emphasis on grades and some contextualisation too, but this is quite systematic, a tick-box exercise, that almost borders on positive discrimination.”

Third-year Philosophy, Politics and Economics student Patrick Mackenzie disagreed.

He said: “If contextual data in admissions is positive  discrimination then I’m definitely in favour.

“Access to higher education has to be as broad as possible in order to have more diveristy in senior positions in all sectors of the workplace.”

The UK government encourages universities to use contextual data when giving places to students from disadvantaged backgrounds and this may be a trend that will continue at Warwick.