Working in Nottingham Castle Gallery gave Georgia Foy the opportunity to undertake an individual project

The Art of Internships: Work experience in the arts sector

The Journalism Experience

After weeks of harassing newspapers and publishers, I had the fortune to secure a placement in the Arts and Culture section of The Telegraph. To say I was excited about this is an understatement. The idea of working at one of the country’s top newspapers in my favourite section was too exciting. But the reality of my journalistic stint was far from glamourous. Like any office job, my day was spent studiously at a computer, updating online content and researching upcoming articles. The work was fairly uninspiring but was ultimately redeemed with the highlight of getting my first byline published on their website. The cold atmosphere of their almost silent office was the biggest drawback. Understandably, it could well be that stressed journalists weren’t eager to chat to a teenager, but this stiff work environment considerably impacted on my experience at the paper.
Bethany Roberts

The Gallery Experience

Walking around a museum or gallery, do you wonder why the works are displayed in such a way? I can’t say I did until a friend suggested that I volunteer curating at Nottingham Castle. Galleries and museums often struggle to engage with young people, so the brief for the exhibition was to target this group. We had to find ways of injecting life into the experience of gallery-going and it was a much harder task than I expected. We were given a theme and had to find ways of expressing it in the ways we displayed the art works we chose, as well as by using accompanying videos, photographs and quotations. The experience has inspired me to pursue a career in gallery work and writing exhibition reviews. Seeking atypical work experience such as this where you will be given an independent project is certainly beneficial; it helped me get my job in the Mead Gallery.
Georgia Foy

The Theatre Experience

Lavish costumes, mesmerising sets, ingenious props – these are crucial aspects to a show’s success. And while some companies choose to hire clothes and scenery, many make them from scratch, including my local theatre: The New Vic, Newcastle-Under-Lyme. I secured a week working with the head of their in-house design team. Though my week mainly involved painting and decorating low key props, I also undertook historical research, painstakingly looking through books and journals for inspiration. The best part of my week was getting to meet actors for their costume fittings! I never appreciated the hard work that goes into design, with tight deadlines, endless fittings, and hundreds of sketches required. Though I thoroughly enjoyed my experience, and have tremendous respect for designers, the experience helped me to realise that I didn’t want to work in theatre design.
Natalie Haslam

The Arts Festival Experience

Having worked as a marketing coordinator at Salisbury International Arts Festival over the summer, I thoroughly recommend applying for experience in a local arts organisation. I was given lots of free reign to undertake marketing activities, from social media and newsletters, to poster design and liaising with the press. The office was superbly friendly, with lunches, lots of biscuits and a fantastic sense of being creators of something very special in the community. Regional arts organisations often attract ex-Londoners who have had more high-profile city jobs, so they are great way to start building contacts. There are plenty of skills you can teach yourself for jobs like this. Familiarise yourself with Google Analytics, a social media platform like HooteSuite, SEO, CMS, Adobe Creative Suite and blogging. Then get some hands-on experience marketing for a student society.
Rebekah Ellerby