Photo: Localjapantimes / Flickr

Students shun ‘sexist’ show

Kasbah Nightclub in Coventry has fired its stage presenter after criticism and complaints following the club’s recent stage games.

The University of Warwick’s No More Page 3 (NMP3) campaign published an open letter to the club, after which presenter Johnny Rickard was dismissed.

A similar account of Kasbah’s stage shows being ‘humiliating’ and ‘sexist’ written by Emma Welton, second-year Literature student, was published by the Boar earlier this month.

A number of people also complained about the shows on social media websites.

The open letter was written by Josie Throup, first-year Literature undergraduate, member of the campaign and member of the Warwick Anti-Sexism Society (WASS).

In her letter, Ms Throup described the stage game at Kasbah’s Kinky night as a “pseudo-humiliation-porn display on stage” as two female participants were entreated to deep-throat a banana while two male participants downed tabasco sauce.

She wrote: “Your presenter repeatedly gave this girl endearing nicknames such as ‘filthy slut’ and ‘the dirtiest bitch in Coventry’.

“…You made them simulate a sexual act then proceeded to abuse them when they did what you wanted them to do.

“You embodied the way that society forces female sexuality into rigid categories. You implied that women are ‘filthy’ for being sexual.

“The disparity between what you made the girls and the boys do was laughable.”

The letter called for a boycott of Kasbah and criticised the manager of Kasbah as “filthy”.

A spokesperson for Kasbah, Amarjit Kullar, told the Boar: “The presenter in question has been dismissed and his views and comments are in no way representative of the Kasbah staff, management or owners.

“The stage shows are neither sexist or humiliating and all participants take part in them voluntarily. If those watching do not approve then they have the choice of three other rooms…”

Warwick SU also referred to Kasbah management’s statement: “The presenter had been previously warned of his language on stage for something that is meant to be ‘tongue in cheek’…

“After receiving complaints, he has now parted ways with the Kasbah.”

Ms Throup commented on Kasbah’s decision to dismiss Mr Rickard.

“I’m happy that Kasbah took some action…

“I hope they won’t let something like this happen again, and that they will think about the messages they’re sending out.”

She also commented on Kasbah Nightclub’s portrayal of women: “A lot of Kasbah’s profits come from using sexual women. They are not celebrating their sexuality. They are using it and abusing it, calling them ‘sluts’.”

Emma Welton, who had written about the Kasbah shows, remarked that the shows were “appallingly sexist”.

She added: “From reading Josie’s experience, my opinions of Kasbah have only been reinforced – that it has no consideration of the effects that their cheap-laugh games have on young adults…

“I wouldn’t be interested in going back there and I’ve had many people approach me saying they wouldn’t be either.

“On the presenter being fired… it’s a great message for young women that if they feel they are being treated as second-class citizens, sexualised, humiliated, they can speak up… hopefully Kasbah will respect their patrons more.

An anonymous student said that he had never seen the stage shows but thought that they were “terrible” and after hearing Josie’s account, agreed that they were humiliating and sexist.

However, he admitted that he was not undeterred from going to the club again.

“I would probably still go there but I wouldn’t take part in any games of that kind.

Oliver Mackinnon, second-year Engineering undergraduate, however, was not aware that there were stage shows of the kind in Kasbah. However, he stated that “especially if these people volunteered, humiliation is fine until someone gets offended by what is going on”.

Becci Ayling, second-year German Studies undergraduate, was more critical: “I think it’s highly degrading to hear… that in both cases the guys and girls on stage have been berated…”

She described a stage show she saw where participants grabbed as much money as possible with a fan blowing.

She thought that these were the types of shows that should be encouraged.

She added: “I am really shocked that something like this has happened in a club which I regularly go to and enjoy.

“So yes, I think it has made an impact and I will consider more carefully where I want to go out to in the future.”