Photo: Hilary Ying

Professor devises ‘perfect’ curry formulae

The ‘perfect‘ curry formulae has been discovered by Dr Mark Hadley from Warwick’s Department of Physics.

Dr Mark Hadley claims that each mouthful of the curry should have meat or vegetable, sauce and rice in a ratio of 1:1:1, a golden ratio which dates back to Ancient Greece.

This formulae means that the curry is both aesthetically pleasing and pleasing to the palate.

Dr Hadley revealed from his research commissioned by Tilda rice that the circle of rice on the plate should be 61 percent wider than the spherical cap of curry on top.

His recommended portion is 100g of cooked rice, 200g of curry, containing 100g of meat or veg. However, the simple ratio means that the formulae can be applied to any meal size.

Dr Mark Hadley spent 40 hours devising the formulae.

A Boar article which derives and adapts Dr Hadley’s formulae has also been written by Ann Yip, deputy News editor of the Boar and second-year English Literature undergraduate.

Eleanor Pettitt, a second-year English Literature student, observed that “searching for the perfect curry formulae seems like just a tad of a waste of time to me”.

She added: “as someone who doesn’t eat curry I don’t think this will revolutionise my life too much!”

Dr Hadley himself said: “We assume that, with a 27cm standard dinner place, we want a 2cm clear band of clean plate around the outside of the rice.

“This is for aesthetic purposes and to allow room on the plate for “breakage” of the circle of rice when eating.

“The fluffiness of the rice is key to the formulae as, with the separate grains, there is as much air as rice when laid out on the plate.

“This affects the look of the rice and how it feels in the mouth.”

Aakanksha Jaiswal, a first-year student of Economics and Industrial Organisation, commented: “Professor discovers perfect formulae for curry: is that even possible?”