Horses for courses: Craig Wells (left), Zoe Young and Jess Lowe from Warwick Polo. photo: Daisy Kemp

Polo Club shine at University Challenge event

Last weekend saw Warwick Polo dominate the field at the annual Rugby Polo Club University Challenge, with all three teams placing in the top three of their divisions.

New to the sport (and in some cases, new to riding entirely) in October, Warwick’s Beginner teams hit the ground running, and after two days of consistent excellence they found themselves facing one another in the final as the only undefeated teams in their division.

Craig Wells (capt.), Jess Lowe and Zoe Young of Beginner 1 edged out Mads Povlsen (capt.), Ara Sh and Jabin Hall/Yeo Ling Xi of Beginner 2 in a tense final that went down to the wire and culminated in penalties after a 1-1 draw. The standard of play from both teams was outstanding all weekend, and their dominance of the leaderboard reflects a term of collective hard work and enthusiasm.

Not to be outdone, however, the Novice team of Marcus Williams (capt.), Jo Winter, and club President Alex Boardman maintained Warwick’s high standards all weekend. After winning all but one match the team finished third in a very competitive division, missing out on second place by a single point on goal difference, and taking home prizes for a top-three placing.

Williams was delighted with the result. “It really bodes well for Winter Nationals to have a strong performance behind us early on in the season,” he enthused. Wells agreed, stating that “the day provided nothing but enjoyment, especially as all Warwick teams finished in the top three in a tough field.”

With February’s SUPA Winter Nationals fast approaching, Warwick Polo have set a precedent for competitive success this season and look forward to continuing the winning streak next term.