Photo: Gene Hunt/Flickr

New Sainsbury’s to open in Leam

Sainsbury’s, the second largest chain of supermarkets in the UK is set to open a second store in Leamington Spa with less than two miles distance between the two supermarkets.

The proposal for a 2,368 square foot Sainsbury’s local convenience store at the site of a pub – The Oak Inn on Radford Road – was refused  by Warwick District Council’s planning committee 12 months ago.

However, the company lodged an appeal with the Planning Inspectorate and the appeal was accepted.

Refurbishment work has now begun, however, many Leamington residents have signed petitions against the opening of the new Sainsbury’s, arguing that road safety and traffic problems could arise.

There were also concerns that it would harm the business of independent grocery retailers in the local area, like Rai’s Supermarket.

Distressed about the future of his family’s business situated across the road from the site, Narinderpal ‘Nikky’ Rai of Rai’s Supermarket described the upcoming project as an “unscrupulous attempt” by Sainsbury’s to “take over the grocery trade” in the area.

Saujanyaa Gupta, a Leamington resident and a Master’s student at Warwick University, commented: “I really don’t think we need another supermarket considering there are already so many, especially when Sainsbury’s already has a huge store two-three miles away!

“It is such a waste. Besides, the people in locality should have a say in the matter, which has been overlooked in this case.”

Mrs Amanda Williamson of Beaconsfield Street wrote in a letter of objection: “We feel [the further increaseof supermarket chains] jeopardises local businesses who have been established in the community for many years.

“Locally owned shops help to support and sustain other local businesses in the area, support local organisations and generally help maintain good community spirit in this part of Leamington.”

Miss Joanne Woodworth, who resides in Leam Street, was more concerned about the impact on the character of the residential area. She wrote her letter in capitalised letters: “As a very local resident I can say without doubt this is not wanted.

“We have a community spirit and do not want the traffic or people that such a commerical venture would bring. I do all my shopping at Sainsbury’s but will revert to the new Morrisons in protest should this be opened. Neither myselfor family will support any future Sainsbury’s outlet.”

On the contrary, Mr Matthew Cox, a resident living in Leam Street, acknowledged that a new supermarket chain was necessary: “It is not possible for [small localshops] to provide the type of produce that we require on a regular basis and I know therefore that we would make far greater use of a larger local store.”

However, he argued that: “the design of the new build seems to have no relation to the surrounding buildings nor the Oak Inn structure itself. I therefore object to the design and to the entire proposal until such time as a more sympathetic new build is included in the plans.”

Sainsbury’s stated that the new venture will create 20 to 25 new jobs and also provide extensive variety to the residents.

• Luke Capitani

Funny that there’s no mention of the large Asda store just 1 mile from the proposed site (in addition to the small shops on nearby Gainsborough drive) as I would have thought that would be the greatest justification for refusing planning permission on this project. The store simply isn’t needed in that area, and affordable housing/flats could have easily been built in it’s place.
    I used to use Rai’s a fair bit when I lived across the road. That part of Leamington is vastly over-populated when it comes to supermarkets. It’s odd, as the north-end of Leamington (Cubbington/Lillington and beyond) has precious little provision at all beyond the Lillington Tesco Metro (itself, pretty close to the town centre), despite being heavily populated and on main traffic routes in that area.

• I live just around the corner from this site. I’m really glad they are building this! This part of town is currently the furthest one can get from a supermarket. Hopefully this will also lead to pedestrian improvements in the area, as the crossings around here are quite dangerous.