Sticking with it: Warwick Lacrosse are back to winning ways. photo: cooper gary

Lacrosse storm back to winning ways

Warwick Women’s Firsts 14-6 Birmingham Seconds

Goalkeeper
Emily Baker

Defenders

Julie Ou
Louise Harkness
Flo Forster
Alexandra Hudson

Midfielders

Ayomide Akin
Tanika Morjaria
Georgina Green
Lucy Wallace
Stella von Koskull

Attackers

Alice Jeffers
Holly Layton
Georgia Palmer
Gunisha Vig
Erika Barron

This was a very important game for Warwick, and the Blues were keen to give it their best fight because this game determined whether or not they would continue in the contest for the BUCS Trophy.

The first half of the game was exceptional. Warwick dominated completely, putting on a display of excellent stickwork and seamless transitions, clever moves and well-placed shots in attack, outstanding communication and cooperation from the defensive unit and some superb saves and clears from goalkeeper Emily Baker. Warwick led 7-2 at half-time and were good value for their comfortable lead.

The Blues briefly lost their composure and momentum after the half time break, as Birmingham scored three times in ten minutes. At the same time, the hosts struggled to convert shots into goals.

Thankfully things quickly changed after a strategic timeout called by captain Tanika Morjaria, and Warwick’s momentum and high level of play was restored.

Once again they managed to control the game and play at their own pace and style. Florine Forster and Louise Harkness showed incredible fight and skills in their endeavours to safely bring the ball out of our defensive end, with Ayomide Akin, Georgina Green and Lucy Wallace doing an outstanding job in transitioning the ball from restrainer to restrainer.

Gunisha Vig and Erica Barron also deserve a special mention for their excellent drives to goal. Despite taking on multiple defenders on several occasions, they were able to take shots on goal that were both powerful and accurate.

Warwick performed exceptionally well today and walked off in high spirits after a well-deserved 14-6 win. The next game is on 12 February 2014, giving the team plenty of time to recuperate before the season resumes.

Warwick Men’s 1sts 7-5 Reading 1sts

Goalkeeper

Deelan Maru

Defenders

Rhys Hill (C)

Thomas O’Neill
Josh Privett
Huw Davies
David Lamprell

Midfielders

Sean Pillai
Richard Gold
Edward Morris
Thomas White

Attackers

Jono Fernandopulle
Paul O’Connor
Stephen Blaylock

The first team were able to welcome back Edward Morris and Stephen Blaylock to the team after missing the last match through injury. The idea of three substitutes was certainly refreshing for the midfield having been run into the ground with only one substitute in the last match.

Once again, Richard Gold started the match by battling for the first face-off and for once was matched by a face-off man of relatively equal skill. Reading initiated the first attack of the match and began passing the ball around in the Warwick half, attempting several dodges and shots, but the hosts held strong until a Reading man ran into space and scored to put the away team in the lead.

In response, Warwick sharpened their own attack and settled well in the opposition half. The movement, cuts and picks worked on in training were disrupting the Reading defence and creating pockets of space for the Warwick attack to move into. Sean Pillai capitalised on the open space by dodging his man and composedly finishing past the goalkeeper to tie the score.

A flurry of attacks from Warwick ensued: however, a desperate Reading defence continued to thwart the home side. Eventually Rhys Hill broke through from the half way line and found Stephen Blaylock, who calmly slotted the ball past the keeper to give Warwick a 2-1 lead after the first quarter.

The second quarter continued in the same vein as the first, with Warwick dominating the Reading defence. Jono Fernandopulle was unlucky not to score a one-handed goal whilst still on the floor, but managed to get off the mark with a tidy finish from Warwick’s man-up play. Edward Morris then continued his goal-scoring form by cutting to crease, taking a feed from Richard Gold with one hand and then slotting past the keeper.

Reading began to counter and attempted to penetrate the ever-solid Warwick defence. Huw Davis and David Lamprell secured any loose ground balls in their role as long-stick midfielders, whilst the combination of Hill, Thomas O’Neill and Josh Privett provided a compact wall that the Reading attack could not breach.

Eventually the opposition resorted to outside shots, with Deelan Maru saving them with consummate ease. At the end of the half the score was 4-1 to Warwick.

The match restarted with Gold winning face-off having gained the edge over his opponent in the last few tussles. However it was Reading that started strongly, and in true cup fashion began to stage a comeback. Some smart play led to two goals for the visitors, taking the score to 4-3.

At the other end, Warwick continually attempted to navigate past the opposition defence. Blaylock and Paul O’Connor were unlucky not to increase the lead for Warwick with powerful shots that were just off target.

Towards the end of the quarter Warwick were a man-down at several points due to some wild checks and lapses in discipline, culminating in another goal from Reading’s man-up play. However it could have been several more but for the might of the Warwick defence. At the other end Gold put Warwick back in front after bulldozing his way through the Reading defence and using his close-range stick skills to beat the keeper.

The game was becoming very even with both teams having several chances on goal. Eventually Reading breached the Warwick defence to score a late goal just before the end of the quarter, taking the score to 5-5.

The final quarter began in tense fashion. Reading continued to bombard the Warwick defence who, even with a man-down, only allowed long-range shots that never looked like troubling the excellent Maru.

Meanwhile, the Warwick attack were happy to take their time in the Reading half, find their rhythm and settle into formation. After some clever movement, Pillai found Tom White running into space, and he provided a clinical finish to put Warwick back on top.

Blaylock then secured the win after Hill ran through and fed him, finishing low and out of the reach of the keeper.

The final whistle blew for a 7-5 Warwick victory. A deserved victory for the team; the hard work in training had paid off, and Northampton wait in the next round.