Getting a grad job. It’s not rocket science

Make a plan
Whether you’re a fresher or a finalist, having an idea of what you might want to do can be helpful. Knowing whether you want to continue in education and undertake a research degree or find a job once you graduate will ensure that you know what is required of you to successfully land the career you want. Make sure that you research early if there are any prerequisites, such as work experience or specific modules. This will prevent you from beginning to apply and realising that you should have taken a certain module the year before, or done more over summer. In addition to this, having a goal or dream job in mind will keep you far more motivated during those long coffee-fuled nights of revision.

Internships
The word will be drilled in to you again and again throughout your time here at university, and for good reason! It’s not enough to just have a good science degree these days, and internships are perfect for getting your foot in the door of a good business. Students generally apply in their penultimate year and the internship takes place the following summer. Places can be very competitive and the application process consisting of long essays and gruelling interviews may seem daunting, but the effort will certainly pay off. In many places, full time graduate jobs have been offered to interns following their internship, taking the pressure off finding a job and applying to schemes in their final year.

Careers Fairs
Whether you’re a first year or a finalist, careers fairs are a perfect place to meet employers and find out more information on work experience or graduate careers. Coming prepared to a careers fair can be very helpful; make sure that you read up on the employers that will be there and prepare questions to ask them. Finding out first-hand from the companies what will make your application successful or what qualifications are required for a job can really help you to start preparing for the future. Most departments will send out emails notifying you of any upcoming careers fairs related to your subject. Also, keep an eye out for future events on the Warwick Student Careers & Skills webpage.

Research Projects
If you’re considering going in to scientific research after your degree, whether it be in the form of a Phd or a graduate job, then it might be worth looking at summer research projects here at Warwick. Some departments allow students to undertake real scientific research over the summer, in a subject area of your choice. Having this experience will give you an edge against other applicants if you’re looking at going in to research. It’s proof that you know what the job or course will entail and that you’re passionate about the subject area. Email the head of your department to find out if they offer this opportunity, or speak to academics currently doing research in your desired field.

• Great advice Ellie. Your strategy starts the minute you are at Uni! Hoard skills at Uni to create an amazing CV to impress employers.