Photo: Flickr, nolifebeforecoffee

DNA controlled ‘nanotrains’ developed

Scientists at Warwick University and Oxford University have developed DNA controlled transport networks which are powered by nano-scale motors.

The transport network is self-controlled and can construct its own tracks which can stretch tens of micrometres, with the ability to transport cargo across the network and dismantle tracks.

The project has been published in Nature Nanotechnology, receiving support from the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council and the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council.

Researchers looked closely at melanophore, a pigment used by fish cells to control their colour. This pigment is transported around the network either by concentrating it in the centre or movement throughout the network. Pigment being concentrated in the centre makes the cells lighter in colour.

Adam Wollman, a leading researcher at Oxford University’s Department of Physics, said: “DNA is an excellent building block for constructing synthetic molecular systems, as we can program it to do whatever we need.

“We design the chemical structures of the DNA strands to control how they interact with each other. The shuttles can be used to either carry cargo or deliver signals to tell other shuttles what to do.”