Down but not out: Warwick Wolves take on Birmingham Lions. photo: Warwick Wolves

Defiant Wolves edged out by Birmingham

Warwick Wolves came close to one of the biggest upsets in BUCS American Football history as they suffered a narrow 11-0 defeat to Birmingham Lions.

After a 48-0 thrashing in the same fixture last year, Wolves defended superbly. Conor Durham dominated at the line of scrimmage, using his speed and strength to torment one of the best offensive lines in the BUCS league. American import Todd Marquis timed several blitzes perfectly and stampeded into the Birmingham backfield, destroying whichever hapless Lion crossed his path.

Meanwhile, Andrew Ashwood and Joe Hardie may well look like two halves of a Shoreditch electronica act, but it was their football knowledge and speed across the ground which led to an interception each, much to the chagrin of Birmingham’s new quarterback.

Unfortunately, at this early stage of the season the Wolves offence struggled to get going against a Lions defensive unit retaining nine of eleven players from last year. The visitors had their chances, but made errors at crucial times. Dom Ferdani continued to impress in the air and on the ground, and inexperienced receiver Jack Groom fought hard with yards from the catch and several key blocks.

Although their effort was in vain this time, Wolves will go in to next week’s match at Loughborough full of confidence. Performances like this could see them face the Lions in the play-offs, and with it a chance to avenge this defeat.