Warwick Basketball recorded three wins this week. photo: Phil Reeder

Clean sweep of wins for Warwick Basketball

Warwick Men’s 1sts 65-57 Aston Men’s 1sts

The men’s game got off to a late start with tip-off being held back to await the arrival of the away team. Warwick struggled to adapt, with Aston racing to a quick five-point lead from the opening tip.

The hosts tried to regain composure but Aston’s sagging press made setting up and slowing the play down difficult. Warwick’s play was littered with turnovers and missed shots on offence, and Aston led 15-11 after the first quarter; coach Chifamba had some stern words for his team.

In the second, Aston continued to press, preferring the scrappy to-and-fro game to running plays and setting up. Warwick’s 2-3 zone prevented fast break points but was susceptible to corner threes from Aston’s sharpshooters.

With Warwick still behind, a late rally from the home team’s guards saw Warwick regain a slim lead and end the half 31-24. Coach Chifamba demanded more from his players in the ensuing half-time talk, yet going into the third quarter the Warwick men were still fast asleep.

Poor defensive decisions allowed open shots and with a shift in the opponents defence, Warwick were once again stymied in their attempts to score. The third ended with Warwick clutching a lead at 47-43.

The fourth saw another run made by the away team, but steals and layups in transition from Warwick guards kept Warwick in the game. A momentum shift catalysed by a massive alley-oop dunk from the high-flying Stefan Filipovic saw Warwick begin to close out the game. Using the bench well, Chifamba secured his team’s win in spite of a terrible performance.

An unsettling game for Warwick Basketball. Let’s hope Warwick are ready when they face stronger opposition.

Points Assists Boards Blocks Steals
P. Reeder

23

5

5

S. Sin

1

M. Holnaicher

2

1

6

1

2

O. Rub

13

3

5

J. Thomas

2

2

1

M. Puelinckx

1

3

S. Filipovic

4

1

1

2

J. McGregor

3

K. Kwan

2

5

1

P. Rimavicius

6

10

1

Z. Sirca

6

1

1

V. Georgiev

8

9

1

Stats by Ashley Payne-Reid

Warwick Women’s 2nds 59-29 Bedford Women’s 2nds

The women’s game would see Warwick race to an early lead over visitors Bedford. Forced to call timeouts early, Bedford tried to slow Warwick’s momentum in the first but could not contain Anne Antoni’s offensive capabilities. The hosts defended superbly, a testament to their growing potential.

Defensive boards and hustle from Sabine Chassagne and Maria Spathari translated into offense, with quick outlets made to Catherine Sutherland who ran the floor well. Warwick’s transition game was proving too much for Bedford and by the end of the first half Warwick led 34–20.

The third was much the same, with Bedford being contained to only one basket and Warwick women communicating and working well together. A late rally from Bedford’s number nine and sharpshooter number 23 saw Bedford attempt to close the gap, making shot after shot.

However, it was too late for the away team and by the fourth quarter Warwick Women had the game in hand. Attention grabbing blocks from Warwick’s captain Giulia Zecchini hammered the nail into the coffin and Warwick were able to close out the game well in the lead.

A huge congratulations to the girls who worked phenomenally well as a team, showcasing their intensity and potential as a defensive force to be reckoned with. MVP rights go to Anne Antoni who was one rebound shy of a double-double. End score 59 – 29.

Points Assists Boards Blocks Steals
Anne Antoni

17

9

Sabine Chassagne

6

11

3

Olivia Chimwemwe

2

2

Maria Spathari

6

9

2

Catherine Sutherland

2

5

1

Hannah Luisa

2

2

1

Dominika Szuba

6

2

Eva Steketee    

2

1

1

Claire Wood

3

2

1

Routing Peng          
Natasha Kwok          
Giulia Zecchini

8

2

3

1

Stats by Ashley Payne-Reid

Warwick Men’s 2nds 93-84 Westwood Anchors

In a local thriller, the men’s second team matched up against Westwood Anchors in the Handicap Cup.

Warwick began the game with 20 points and rivals Westwood started on 45. Forced to play the catch-up game from the offset, Warwick opened the quarter with a full court man-to-man press.

Shocked by the away team’s intensity, Westwood were unable to deal with the pressure and were forced to concede early points from turnovers. With Warwick’s big men going to work under the basket, the away team were able to begin closing the gap and by the second quarter Westwood led just 65-55.

Outstanding coaching from Perminder Tanday saw brilliant end-line plays for the Warwick side. John McGuiness was able to capitalize on the low block, getting up and dunking the ball with authority. Solid defence and composure on the offensive end saw Warwick close out the game in style.

Westwood were unable to keep up with their more athletic opponents, and were forced to concede defeat despite their handicap advantage. MVP rights go to John McGuiness who finished the game with a season high 16. End score 93-84.