Photo: Graham Richardson

Bus companies launch ‘Oyster card’ for Coventry

Local bus companies have banded together to launch an ‘Oyster card’ equivalent for Coventry.

The new electronic Coventry’n’Bus pass will cost £43.50 a month and can be used on any bus in the Coventry area.

The pass is the first smartcard ticket which can be paid by direct debit in the West Midlands.

Regular passengers in Coventry can save up to £18.50 a month on the cost of their travel.

The launch follows the successful installation of smartcard readers on all of the region’s 2,400 buses and an agreement with Coventry bus operators including National Express Coventry, Travel de Courcey, Stagecoach and Johnsons Coach and Bus Travel.

Coun John McNicholas, who officially launched the new pass, said: “The Coventry’n’Bus product is a great example of how smartcard technology allows us to offer more flexible, customised yet cheaper ticketing for passengers.”

Emma Ly, a final year French and History student who lived in Coventry during her second year, commented: “I think [the pass] is definitely a good idea…Paying in cash is such an inconvenience for passengers who don’t have the right change.”

“You end up losing money each time you don’t have the correct change – it’s a real pain,” added Bethany Lucas, a final year CAS student.

“It makes things easier for drivers too – counting money takes up time, especially in rush hour,” concluded Emma Ly.

Warwick students have commented on the price of the monthly pass. Gaia Veronese, an Erasmus student living in Coventry, said: “I think it is a good idea for students who don’t want to buy the year-round unirider pass. It’s still quite expensive for a monthly pass so I am glad I bought my annual one.”

Alice Trew, a final year English Literature student from Coventry, said that the monthly pass is “not cheap enough to be worthwhile…a top up and scan card would be a better system.”

The unirider pass offers unlimited travel on Stagecoach buses in Leamington, Warwick, Coventry and Bedworth areas and costs £282 for three terms.

Emma Ly added: “I think students in the Coventry area should get a discount like the student Oyster card in
London.”

Plans for further ticket options will go live next year, including one-week and four-week passes available on
a ‘pay-as-go’ basis.

Geoff Inskip, chief executive of Centro, stated: “The launch of the Coventry’n’Bus option is a real milestone – you only have to look at London’s Oyster card to see how successful smartcard technology can be in encouraging people on to public transport by making it quicker, easier and, of course, potentially cheaper to use.

“Once fully rolled out Swift will enable fare paying passengers to do away with the need for cash all together and instead make their journey using 21st century technology.”