Warwick Women's Basketball before their match against Cranfield. photo: Phil Reeder

Warwick Basketball bounce back

Following the disappointment of their opening BUCS games, Warwick Men and Women looked to bounce back on the road against the University College of Birmingham Men and Cranfield University Women’s team. Meanwhile, Warwick Men’s Second Team hosted local rivals Coventry Rebels.

Birmingham Mens 1sts 60-96 Warwick Mens 1sts

The men’s first team participated in a neck-and-neck first quarter, with both teams getting into foul trouble early. Birmingham’s number 12 took advantage in one-on-one isolation plays, forcing Warwick’s defence to collapse, foul and send him to the line to grant him easy free-throws.

At the offensive end, Warwick looked to new recruit Omer Rub who stepped up early making fast-break plays to keep the away squad in the game. The second quarter told the same story, this time with Paulius Rimavicius taking control in the paint and making crucial baskets down the stretch.

Despite this, however, the end of the half saw Warwick only holding onto a slim 44 – 38 lead.

During the half-time break coach Chifamba demanded more of his players, looking to his seniors to step up and control an open game. The talk must have worked: a huge turnaround in the third quarter saw Warwick shut down Birmingham defensively, employing a 2-3 zone that stymied the home teams’ attempts to score.

Paulius Rimavicius showed his potential as a game changer with huge plays at both the defensive and offensive end, leading Warwick to a 27 – 6 point difference by the end of the third.

With the Birmingham morale crushed, the game descended into fast-break baskets for Warwick and frustration for the home team. A great showing by the Warwick squad who closed out the game professionally. MVP rights go to Paulius Rimavicius for earning himself a triple-double in points (23), blocks (10) and rebounds (16). The team now look to Nottingham Trent at home next Wednesday.

Warwick Women 42-51 Cranfield Women

In the women’s game Cranfield got off to a quick start, running the floor well and scoring two baskets in rapid succession. With Warwick unable to capitalize on turnovers and mistakes from the home team, the first quarter ended with Cranfield leading 10–4.

The second period showed Warwick’s ability as a slashing team, able to penetrate the Cranfield defence and dish the ball off for baseline shots. Captain Giuly Zecchini’s expert cuts through the opposition’s defence and huge plays from Sabine Chassagne saw Warwick women race to a 20 – 13 lead with three minutes left of the half. However, a late rally from the home team ensured that Cranfield led 23-20 at the interval.

In the third Warwick struggled to convert on steals and open looks at the offensive end. Defensively the Cranfield number eight proved too hot for the visitors to handle, making deep jumpers and continually getting to the line to shoot free throws.

By the fourth quarter, Warwick were unable to stay with Cranfield and the away team was able to extend their lead into the final minutes. An intense game throughout, with the away team just out of reach of victory. Next week sees the women take on table-topping Cambridge 1st team.

Warwick Men’s 2nds 88-37 Coventry Rebels

The Men’s Second Team put on a display of skill and proficiency as they crushed Division 2 shield holders Coventry Rebels in a thrilling 88-37 win at home.

Finishing the first quarter without the away team scoring a single point just shows the potential of this team as a defensively-orientated squad.

The Rebels showed heart, fighting back in the second quarter despite defensive lapses and poor judgement calls on the offensive end. However, Warwick cemented their lead in the third, pushing the ball in transition to finish with fast break layups. At the defensive end, Warwick’s quick hands led to multiple steals as they finished the game in total control.

Another promising sign for Warwick Basketball, as the second team add another win to their season. The second team look to increase and sustain their intensity throughout their next games. MVP rights go to Manu Serrano.