Photo: Flickr / Trontnort

Room Renovation 101

Ann Yip tells us how to transform a dark, gloomy university room into something you can be proud of.

So you’ve had a week of living in your university accommodation, unfortunately, some of you will be finding yourselves in small, cramped up rooms. Luckily, there are ways to fix this:

Make your room brighter

During the day, have your curtains ‘as open as possible’. Not only does this allow more sunlight into your room, but it also makes your room feel less confined and gives the illusion of a bigger room.

Don’t be afraid to open your sheer curtains as well – unless you really want your own privacy. But so long as you are not naked or picking your nose all day, so what if people can look into your room? I prefer taking down the sheer curtains or twisting them then hanging them up by the curtain railing.

At night, make sure your lights are bright enough. If your ceiling light looks a bit dim, change the light bulb(s)! Look for a power-efficient light bulb with a relatively high lumen measure. Remember to check the maximum power intake and buy a light bulb with the correct screw end.

Lamps are also a good way to light up a room. So if your room does not have one already, consider investing in one.

Use light colours

Try to use lighter colours for your room for a more refreshing ambience and to make your room feel less confined. This means using lighter coloured duvet covers – I am a big fan of white beds – or consider getting light-coloured curtains. If possible, a simple light-coloured desk and chair is also a good idea.

If your room walls are painted in a dark or depressing colour like grey, I recommend asking your landlord to have your walls repainted.

Reduce clutter

Too much clutter can make a room look more confined, suffocating and smaller than it really is. Try to keep most of your things out of sight. Store things away properly, use your drawers. Organise all your clothes in your wardrobe and avoid leaving them hanging around. Use small corners in your room or the space under your bed to hide things. It’s a good idea to keep your shoes under your bed too. Aim to have more walls and floor space showing.

It is important to keep your desk tidy as well, with only the essential things on there: your laptop, your current work tidied up into neat piles – and maybe a bottle of wine!

If you have a sink in your room, try to keep that clear too. You only really need your hand wash, toothbrush and toothpaste out – maybe shaving cream for guys. Moisturiser can go in the drawers.

It may sound extreme, and true, I am a bit of a perfectionist and a minimalist, but these are just suggestions and the main point of this article is that there are ways to improve what you’re given. So if ever you find yourself in a room too small for your liking, stop wailing and get working!

• If you are going to renovate your home the make sure that the colours you use for room painting should be bright which gives a decent look to your home.