Warwick Students at the RSC, photo: Julia Dorrington

Performance Venues Guide: “all the world’s a stage”

The West Midlands really does have a wealth of arts venues to choose from. From Shakespeare to musicals, circus to stand-up, there’s no doubt that there really is ‘something for everyone’, but often it can be difficult to get your head around all of the student deals and things going on. If that’s the case for you, starting out at Warwick, then look no further than this guide to the area… 

Warwick University Campus

Warwick Arts Centre, your cultural home for the next 3 years (photo: WAC)

Warwick Arts Centre, your cultural home for the next 3 years, photo: WAC

We have to start right here on campus, with Warwick Arts Centre, which claims to be one of the biggest arts complexes in the country, with two theatres, a cinema, an art gallery, a multi-purpose concert hall, along with a cafe, a bar, a restaurant and a bookshop. With all of this, and the student deals (currently £6 for theatre performances and £4 for cinema tickets) it’s one of those venues you’d be mad to miss out on visiting.

One of the great things about the Arts Centre is that it has lots of opportunities for students to get involved. Performance stewarding, gallery stewarding, a Student Arts Representative (STARS) scheme, as well as marketing internships are just some of the experiences you can get involved with and that’s alongside performances from nationally renowned companies such as Headlong and Kneehigh. Ideal for those just getting in to the arts, since it’s so easy to get to, but with so much variety; there’s always something to get involved with. Be sure to check out 1984 and Out of Shadow this season!

Coventry

The Belgrade Theatre in Coventry is another great venue, especially since they offer limited free tickets for some of their shows if you’re aged 18-26. There’s also £2 tickets if you have an NUS card, which means it can be a very reasonably priced night out. With varied performances spaces to match their varied programme of musicals, Shakespeare, new writing and more, there’s plenty going on to keep you interested. This season, keep an eye out for Kindertransport and Our House for two totally different performances!

Leamington Spa

Photos of The Loft Theater, Leamington Spa

The Loft Theatre, photo: TripAdvisor

The Loft Theatre in Leamington Spa is great if you’re interested in getting involved in any aspect of theatre, including marketing, producing, costume etc. This season be sure to catch their adaptation of Wuthering Heights, Copenhagen and Harold Pinter’s Betrayal for something a little different. Many of Warwick’s student drama societies use this venue for their productions.

The Royal Spa Centre attracts touring theatre, opera and music. It plays host to the Hobgobin Comedy Festival (12th-19th October) with Lee Mack headling, and check out the irresistable Reduced Shakespeare Company.

Kenilworth

Only slightly further afield, in Kenilworth (a short bus ride away from campus) are the Talisman Theatre & Arts Centre and Priory Theatre. Both of these theatres are member-run, which means that for a membership fee you can get involved with most aspects of theatre, as well as going to see performances. Keep an eye out for An Inspector Calls at the Talisman this season, and Children of the Wolf at the Priory.

Warwick

If you’re looking for a venue with variety, have a look at the Bridge House Theatre in Warwick. October alone sees the Warwick Words Book Festival, ‘Pun Run’, a comedy evening, jazz band ‘LindyPop!’ and UK touring theatre’s performance of  Strinberg’s Miss Julie. While a little more difficult to get to in terms of buses from campus, tickets are reasonably priced and it’s a good venue for a change of scenery!

Stratford-upon-Avon

The RSC, photo: Rebekah Ellerby

The RSC, photo: Rebekah Ellerby

For most with an interest in the arts, The Royal Shakespeare Company will need little introduction. With three theatres and a host of restaurants, cafes and bars, it’s a great place to visit for a treat. 16-25 year olds can get tickets for all performances for just £5 using the booking code 1625 online. Join up as a member of the RSC Key and you can get discounts when you eat or shop, a loyalty card and there are even coach trips which run from campus if you are worried about transport!

Even if you’re not a fan of Shakespeare, there tends to be at least one production per season that is by new or different writers. Hilary Mantel’s Man Booker Prize winning novels, Wolf Hall and Bring Up The Bodies are soon to be adapted for the RSC’s stage. The RSC can be wholly relied on for quality productions and with the recent refurbishment of the Royal Shakespeare Theatre and Swan Theatre, it’s difficult to get a bad seat. Your Arts Editor recommends the theatre tour if you want to find out about the RSC’s hallowed past and discover the warrens of backstage.

Oxford

Oxford is closer than you might think, being only about 50 minutes on the train from either Coventry or Leamington Spa. Oxford Playhouse features fantastic touring theatre from companies such as Headlong and recently hosted the heartbreaking, acclaimed production of Mies Julie set in post-apartheid South Africa. Be sure not to miss Ibsen’s Ghosts, in a production influenced by the artist Edvard Munch’s stage designs.

Birmingham 

The Birmingham REP with new library, photo: Christian Richters (Dezeen)

The Birmingham REP, photo: Christian Richters (Dezeen)

Birmingham Repertory Theatre has just opened its newly refurbished doors in its bicentenary year with a brand new, 300-seat studio in addition to its theatre and new places to eat. Adjacent to the must talked-of new library, The REP boasts a packed and varied programme, and as a producing theatre you can expect great new productions. I can highly recommend Stan’s Cafe’s production of The Anatomy of Melancholy, which comes to the Studio in November, as well as the classic Tartuffe starring Mark Williams as the title role.

The Birmingham Hippodrome attracts high-budget touring musicals, opera and ballet. Look out for War Horse coming to its stage in October. The Old Joint Stock Theatre is the only pub theatre in the Midlands, which produces three or four of its own productions each year and specialises in new writing. This season be sure to check out the offerings from Birmingham Comedy Fest.

London

Warwick Students at The Shed, National Theatre, photo: Rebekah Ellerby

Of course, London can speak for itself as a cultural capital with the infamous West End and the theatre scene on Southbank. Particularly for students, though, the National Theatre offers £5 Entry Pass tickets, the Donmar Warehouse releases £10 tickets every Monday at 10am and join the Access All Arias scheme with the Royal Opera House to get discounts for young people. The Barbican Arts Centre offer a variety of discounted and free tickets for 16-25 year olds. The Old Vic also has an U25s scheme.

There really is no shortage of arts events going on in this area and you’d be hard pushed to get to see them all. My best advice would be to go see something you wouldn’t normally watch, maybe a hip-hop dance show if you’d usually watch Shakespeare, or vice-versa. While you’re a student, there are so many deals to take advantage of, so make sure you don’t miss out!