New experiences? Game on

To echo the words of Zoe Buckland, our new Sports Officer, there are numerous opportunities to get involved here at Warwick.

As third year approaches I have narrowed my sporting experience at university down to the Athletics and Cross Country Club as well as Five-a-side Football, two fantastic clubs.

But first year is a perfect time to throw inhibitions to the wind and get involved in sports that you may never have considered before. I vividly remember going along to a Dodgeball taster session in my first few days at Warwick, largely inspired by Rawson Marshall Thurber’s 2004 film.

Unfortunately I was less Vince Vaughn than Steve the pirate with a yellow ball in my hand, but regardless of my lack of talent it was great fun.

Tennis social play sessions on Wednesday afternoons were light-hearted and a great opportunity to meet people, as was badminton training, despite my evidently flawed technique.

I remain amazed by the close control of Futsal players, and could not believe the skill and bravery of the Horse Riding team which performed so outstandingly in their first ever Varsity contest last year.

But the truth is that there will always be unchartered waters if you are looking for something completely different.

Sport at Warwick (rightfully!) dominates campus towards the end of second term, when the Varsity series – where we lock horns with our fierce rivals Coventry – gets underway.

Last year we won 70-20, a genuinely comprehensive victory which accentuated the gulf between the two universities. But they will be hurting and will surely have more to offer this year. Let’s hope so, for their sake. With a bit of hard work, you first-years could play starring roles – what an accolade that would be.

Finally, I’d just like to warmly welcome everybody who is joining us at Warwick. It’s a fantastic place to be and I’d just encourage you to throw yourself into life here and get as much as you can out of it.

Here at Boar Sport we’d love you to come and be part of our team. We’re a really friendly and enthusiastic bunch and welcome all genders, sport preferences and experience levels. Just get in touch using the contact details at the top of the back page – it is as simple as that.

I can’t wait to meet you all, but in the meantime, I hope you all have a brilliant Freshers’ fortnight!