Life on Mars: A reality show like no other

Just two years from now, twenty-four people will begin a gruelling seven-year training regime for a one-way trip to the red planet, with the first group of four expected to arrive by 2023. Every two years, another group of four will arrive on the planet, eventually growing a small community of people who will live out the rest of their lives on the hostile planet.

Despite the fact that the world’s image of astronauts is an elite group of scientists – people who have studied for years and whose job is considered to be an impossible profession for many – it is a different story for the unfolding Mars One project. The “Key Characteristics” an applicant must have are: resiliency, adaptability, curiosity and creativity. No former “space-training” necessary.

If you were considering it, you’re a tad late, as the deadline was the 31st of August this year. But don’t worry if you didn’t submit an application form, having the ability to walk outside without a spacesuit and to watch the cramped astronauts get cranky with each other on a laptop surrounded by your favourite food will be a lot more comfortable than anything the astronauts are likely to feel once they’ve broken Earth’s atmosphere. Over 200,000 candidates applied from all walks of life, from a Canadian high school teacher and a Pakistani business graduate, to a Brazilian Air Force member and a London- based engineering student, and they all could stand a chance… provided the public likes them enough.

That’s right, after applying and attending an interview, it goes to a vote. There will be a regional selection, where the local audience will get to choose who will be their representative as the first person on Mars and in the final round, which will be broadcasted internationally, the final few are chosen by the Mars One selection committee. Th is is where the hard work begins, as those chosen head out to train at a copy of the proposed Martian outpost, where those who can’t hack it will see themselves booted out of the programme.

They will also have to get used to the idea of being watched 24 hours a day, and not just by the control team. Applicant Erica Meszaros from the USA is excited at the prospect of going, even if it means leaving behind her parents and her husband of only 9 months, stating that it would be “tough” but that she had “100% confidence in humanity” that humans would make it onto Mars and is determined to be a part of it. However, she won’t quite be leaving everyone behind, as she is quite intent on bring a beloved toy, a stuffed mongoose, which is sure to bring her comfort if she is indeed chosen to start a new life up to 100 million miles away from home.

To help recreate a livable environment in the harsh terrain, and prevent the astronauts from going crazy – which would be a disaster in such a small space – a study was recently conducted on a barren Hawaiian lava field to find out what food should be brought to Mars, how it should be stored and what people responded best to. Freeze dried fruit and vegetables were considered, by team commander Angelo Vermeulen, to be almost as good as fresh produce. However, the most popular item? Nutella. It seems likely that, even on Mars, you’ll be able to get your hands on the student staple, but it will be used very sparingly. So if you love a daily dose of chocolate spread, maybe this trip isn’t for you after all!

Although luxury food being limited certainly sounds unpleasant, there are far more serious challenges that the astronauts must overcome. The risk involved in space travel is estimated to be similar to that of climbing Mount Everest, where for every ten successful climbs, there is one fatality. The threat of injury or death will be constantly hanging over the astronaut’s heads. They must be constantly vigilant, as just one tiny mistake could have huge, deadly consequences for the whole team.

As reality shows go, this is likely to be the most expensive ever produced, costing approximately 6 billion US dollars to the Dutch company responsible, Mars One and Interplanetary Media Group, who plan to film the first few years of living on Mars and broadcast it worldwide. Among other instructions, the astronauts are advised not to ‘attempt to have children’ for the first few years. However, when a child is finally born on Mars, they will technically be the first ‘Martian’, which has to be one of the most exclusive claims to fame any human will ever have.