Neon, formerly Evolve. Photo: Michael Allen

Leam club ‘evolves’ into Neon

The popular Leamington nightclub Evolve has been renovated, and relaunched itself as Neon on Saturday September 21.

Although the club organisers refused to comment on the exact changes, the Boar has learned that the club is equipped with a new light and soundsytem, as well as a dramatically different interior decor.

The biggest student event at the club will still be Jagermonster on a Friday night, running in Weeks 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9.
The new club will showcase new student DJs in the front room and the main room will still be playing house/commercial music.

Warwick students had mixed responses to the renovations.

Some agreed that Evolve had been in need of revamp. One criticised the bathrooms and smoking area.

Pascale Dorey, a second-year Politics, Philosophy and Economics student said:
“I would say that Evolve is probably the biggest nightclub in Leamington, so they could definitely invest in better and bigger bathrooms, bars and smoking area”.

Some students also dislike how sweaty and cramped the main room was in busy periods.

“It gets a bit uncomfortable some nights, so a new layout could help solve that problem” said Luke Cohen, a third year Maths student.

On the club’s official Facebook page, locals and students had questioned whether the the poles in the upstairs room would be continue to be a permanent fixture – but club organisers declined to comment.

“I think they should keep them [the poles],” said Luke, “It makes a nice change from the normal dancing in the other part of the club, and it’s entertaining.”

One second-year EPAIS student who did not want to be named, welcomed the renovations, commenting that the former club lacked “soul and style”.

There were also questions raised over the new name. Abi Awojobi a third-year currently on Erasmus in Berlin said: “The name Neon just suggests the nights are going to be even more gaudy and tasteless. Evolve indicated a possibility for change.

“That said, if I were in Leamington this year I would go to the launch night to check it out. It might surprise us all.”

Second-year Politics Philsophy and Economics student Raphael Levy is also pessimistic: “Clubs are sweaty, cramped, alcohol filled places that should all be outlawed” he said.

“Frankly, renaming it doesn’t change the fact that it is sweaty, cramped and alcohol filled nor mean that it shouldn’t be outlawed.”

• What youre saying is elntreiy genuine. I am aware that everybody should say precisely the same point, but I just think that you set it in a way that everyone can recognize. I also love the photos you put in here. They fit so nicely with what youre attempting to say. Im certain youll get to a great number of individuals with what youve obtained to say.