Jailbreak to return

Jailbreak 2013Escaping from jail may not be an average experience for the typical University of Warwick student, but with the return of Warwick Jailbreak you can get close.

Starting on Saturday 2 November, teams will be given 36 hours to get as far away from campus as possible, with one catch – they can’t spend any money on travel.

This year, all the money raised will go to the Association for International Cancer Research (AICR), as vice-president Harrison Gould explained:

“The majority of us know someone affected by cancer, and so raising funds for an international cancer research charity is something that would resonate with participants.”

Mr Gould added: “They [AICR] have a hilarious #smartypants social media campaign which involves a pair of brightly coloured pants.

“It definitely matches the Jailbreak ethos – imagine hundreds of people wearing these pants across Europe and beyond!”

The current record is Thailand, 6,000 miles away, while last year’s record was Hungary, 1,800 miles away.

Less successful attempts have travelled to Canley – just 1.5 miles away.

This year the society hopes to raise £20,000 – and even more with the smaller Race2Amsterdam event taking place in the summer.

Joining Jailbreak costs £20 per team member as a participation fee to cover travel insurance, and each team member is required to raise at least £70 in sponsorship.

Now in its ninth year of running, Paul Ratner, founder of Warwick Jailbreak, commented: “The first event was a wonderful success … over 70 people took part and we raised over £8,000 for charity.”

“I was thrilled a few years ago to find out that not only is Jailbreak still going, but that it’s more successful than ever.”