Stars of Opera Warwick's Cinderella (photo: Peter Marsh)

Guide to Arts and Performance Societies at Warwick

There’s a wealth of arts societies at Warwick, perhaps an overwhelming number, with everything from musical theatre and opera, to ballroom dancing and theatrical improvisation. We have put together advice from members and execs of most of the arts and performance societies at Warwick so that hopefully you’ll know what to look out for at the Freshers Fair. Once you sign up to a society via Warwick SU website, you should get emails about everything going on. Useful ones to sign upto are the Drama and Dance Collectives, which email a round-up of all their respective societies each week.

Art Society 

Art Soc (@WAARSO) aims to squeeze the latent creative juices from the students of Warwick. It is the only society on campus to concentrate entirely on the visual arts. Colourful socials and an annual tour to an artistic capital, combined with weekly creative workshops make it perfect for people who like looking at art as well as people who like to make it. From life drawing, painting and sculpture, to graffiti and make-up, with every artistic endeavour ever thought imaginable in-between, ArtSoc brings art.

Chiara Milford, President

Boar Arts

The Boar is editorially independent and produced solely by Warwick students. Named ‘Student Publication of the Year’ by Ones to Watch, it is one of the most highly regarded university papers and a great way to get writing, express your views, gain experience in journalism and meet like-minded people. All of the sections are welcoming new writers and look out for opportunities to become Deputy Section Editors. Email me for advice about getting started writing for Boar Arts specifically (arts@theboar.org) and with any suggestions for articles about theatre, performance, dance, art exhibitions, opera, architecture and arts news. @BoarArts

Rebekah Ellerby, Boar Arts Editor

Codpiece

Codpiece is Warwick’s devised theatre society, aiming to assist, develop and produce new work from students. Whether it be through adaptation or collaboration in all manners of performance; dance, physical theatre, clowning, spoken word, verbatim, etc. Anything that interests you and you want to explore creatively, we’re here to help. We also run regular workshops, providing opportunities to explore a vast array of performance practices. ‘Backus’ is Codpiece’s termly arts event, staging new work that focuses on taking inspiration from the world around you.

Andrew Turner, President

EQHQ Dance

EQHO Dance offer dance classes covering the variety of styles that commonly come under the heading ‘street’. Classes are always different and always a mixture: in the past we’ve covered everything from hip hop, ‘waacking’, ‘femme’, locking, popping, and even a bit of contemporary!

Also provided are workshops run by outside, professional choreographers; the opportunity to participate in performances and competitions, and of course, crazy socials including the infamous Warwick tradition of circling! EQHO isn’t about showing off as the best dancer though – it’s a family of people formed by those who just love to break it down.

Sophie Halford, Dancer

Freshblood

Freshblood is the centre for new dramatic writing on campus. If you’ve never written before but think you might possibly quite like to try it, Freshblood gives you an opportunity to get your work performed and showcased. We do workshops and scratch nights as well as productions. If you’re more confident or experienced – great, now lets put on your brand new play for an audience of, potentially, hundreds. For directors and actors Freshblood gives you the chance to do something that’s truly new and original – not just another dreary interpretations of Hamlet. So get creative. Follow us @FreshbloodT.

Sam Steiner, Productions Manager

Music Theatre Warwick

Look no further if you’re interested in any combination of the following: singing, dancing, acting, directing, producing, script-writing, marketing, designing sets, working backstage, playing in bands, having a ridiculous amount of fun, meeting your future best friends… oh, and drinking. (NB: we don’t recommend combining drinking with any of the technical stuff.) Follow us on Twitter @mtw_uk for information on the Freshers’ workshop in Week 1.

Laura Bird, Communications Officer

Opera Warwick

Opera Warwick (@OperaWarwick)  is an all-inclusive performance society which aims to get as many new people involved with opera as possible! We don’t play by the opera rules and recently performed Cinderella, the 21st century Essex-themed opera, to packed out audiences, receiving reviews such as, ‘this brilliant, garish, OTT production is exactly what opera needs!’ behindthearras.com. There was such high demand that we were asked back for at second run at Warwick Arts Centre.

Opera Warwick normally works towards two main projects a year and we are always looking for forward-thinking directors, producers, technicians and performers to get involved. So come and give opera a try, all the cool kids are doing it.

Daisy Scott, Marketing Manager

Student Arts Representatives: STARSaffiliated with Warwick Arts Centre and not a society.

If your passion is all things performance and art, then this is the job for you! STARS promote and publicise Warwick Arts Centre shows, review them for the STARS blog, and much more. Off-campus flyering is hourly paid, working hours are flexible and in exchange you can watch all kinds of performances for free. Keep your eyes peeled for a sign about applications at the Box Office in the Arts Centre foyer during Freshers Fortnight and keep checking the Arts Centre website.  Follow us  on Twitter @STARSwarwick.

Laura Bertoni, Warwick STAR

Warwick Ballroom Society 

Ballroom dancing might not be the first thing that comes to mind when starting Warwick, but Strictly between you and me, joining could be one of your better decisions made during Freshers. Catering to absolute beginners as well as advanced dancers, we offer two classes a week with experienced coaches, a vibrant social scene (circling, bowling, an annual Dancer’s Ball) and the opportunity to compete at least 5 times a year on the university circuit. It’s not just sparkly outfits, but the chance to learn a great skill and you’ll never tire of hearing, ‘Wow, I didn’t know you could dance like that!’ on a night out.

Nicole Davis, Ballroom Dancer

Warwick Comedy Society 

If you want to write, perform or watch comedy then you’ll find something for you in the Comedy Society. Our recently formed sketch group, the Warwick Players, meet up every week to share ideas and prepare for our live sketch shows, radio shows and YouTube videos. If you fancy trying stand-up then come along to our weekly workshop to try out ideas and receive feedback. Or if you just like watching and talking about comedy, come along to Reckless Comedy, every Monday in Leamington.

David McIver, Reckless Comedian

Warwick Shakespeare Society 

Warwick Shakespeare Society (@WarwickShakesoc) is a friendly, welcoming society which puts on a range of Shakespeare’s plays and offers a variety of workshops centred on Shakespeare’s works which are open for all to attend. Last year’s productions included Hamlet and A Midsummer Night’s Dream. In addition to productions, Shakesoc has educational involvement with local schools. This society is a great way to get involved in Warwick drama and freshers are invited to audition for the first production of the year: Macbeth.

Will Barratt, Social Secretary

Warwick Tap

I had always anticipated joining Warwick Tap, having been a keen tap dancer from the age of 4. However, my experiences with the society, from a year on the exec as Liaisons Officer, to teaching advanced tap, allowed me to do so much more than perform. Trying my hand at choreography was something I’d always been eager to do and taking part in dance showcases and competitions proved to be both socially and creatively rewarding. Playing an active role in costume design, collaborations and online marketing are some other aspects I’ve managed to scratch the surface of and have diversified my role within the society.

Jack Pusey, former Liaisons Officer

Warwick University Drama Society (WUDS) 

WUDS is an award-winning society devoted to producing excellence in student theatre. We stage published plays, actively encouraging students to take works by any playwright and do exactly what they want with them. WUDS is there to help you realise your ideas, providing opportunities to get involved in every aspect of theatrical production, in shows and regular workshops. As well as having access to the studio theatre of Warwick Arts Centre, WUDS stages productions in other campus studios, Leamington’s Loft Theatre and less conventional spaces on and off campus. WUDS also gives you access to a large social-network of like-minded individuals with frequent socials, parties and trips to see productions. Follow us @WarwickDrama.

Euan Kitson, President