Photo: Flickr / PrettyKateMachine

Fashion Forward: Student Style Bible

Lydia Rose Bright offers an alternate way to make first impressions that count this year at Warwick

During the first few weeks of university you’ve got a lot to think about: there’s learning how to get along with your flatmates, running around all the various fairs, signing up to societies, and sussing out your new campus.

University is about making your first connections for later life and finding friends that will last all year, not so much about stressing over what skirt co-ordinates perfectly with what t-shirt in the morning. But let’s face it: although there may be more to life than clothes, first impressions do count. How many times have you struck up a conversation about the band t-shirt someone was wearing? Clothes are how people first come to find something out about you and might even be your first talking point.

Most students see their time at Warwick as the opportunity to reinvent themselves. Nobody knows how you dressed in school or over the summer, and most importantly, nobody cares. I’ve got some tips on how to dress for your new student life…

1. Lectures

You’ll probably notice that everyone is ‘all lipstick and effort’ for the few first weeks, but as the days go by, it’s back to hoodies and skinny jeans. Lecture wear is all about minimal effort but if you still want to look stylish, look no further than the monochrome trend.

A simple black and white palette is the epitome of casual cool. Start with staples: a black skirt from Missguided, crop tops from Primark, and skater dresses. Skorts have been huge this season and are easily dressed down with a plain t-shirt, ankle boots, and some gold jewellery. There’s no need to burn out your loan in Zara either – high quality skorts can be found on eBay for a fraction of the price.

If monochrome isn’t your thing, printed trousers are easy to style and look amazing with a leather jacket and boots. Those dresses sitting in your wardrobe are easily dressed down too – throw a chunky knit jumper over them or an oversized t-shirt.

Monochrome doesn’t have to be exclusive to the female population of campus. Guys wanting to work that lecture chic look that has all the fashion blogs going crazy should invest in a few statement jumpers. H&M offer a wide range of knitwear for men that won’t break the bank and will take your wardrobe from dark and dreary to eye-catching and updated.

Blazers seem to steal the show when it comes to menswear on campus – they offer the easiest way to class up an outfit and make it seem like you didn’t just jump out of bed 20 minutes ago to make it to your 9am. Invest in versatile hoodies that you can pair with anything from your favourite pair of skinnies to your most comfortable sweatpants.

It seems like guys at Warwick like to wear flip flops all year round, but don’t give in to this trend until the weather is appropriate for full-on toe exposure. Instead, whip out your trainer collection or whatever footwear takes your fancy…just stay away from the flip flops!

2. Meeting Your Tutors

If you want to make a decent start to your academic career then forming good relationships with your tutors is key. Your tutors know that you probably spent the night before getting obliterated playing beer pong, but you don’t need to look like it.

Ladies, try overall shorts with a sheer shirt underneath, they yell out ‘I’m sophisticated’ much louder than your favourite pair of jeans. A midi skirt is a great option that still lets you look sharp. Tartan is everywhere this A/W, so why not try a tartan dress with a casual coat thrown over the top?

Jeans and a nice fitted jumper work well for men – it shows you’ve made an effort to make a good first impression but could also imply that you’re off to the library afterwards and not back to bed like most of us are. If you’re feeling adventurous, prints are also very in this season. Jazz up any outfit with an animal print t-shirt or simply add a burst of colour to the staple outfits you have in your closet.

3. Going Out

Make sure you dress appropriately for the event you’re attending: don’t show up to the Paint Party wearing something you care about getting ruined, and don’t turn up to Altoria wearing trainers and a snapback, chances are they won’t let you in.

A kimono should be every girl’s staple piece this season. They look effortlessly glamorous paired with high-waisted jeans and strappy shoes, or thrown over a cocktail dress. A black cami dress is easy to style too. Wear it with leather boots or sky scraper heels. If these fashion choices don’t float your boat, why not a lace playsuit? Underwear as outwear never gets old, and there’s nothing that makes a girl feel more confident than a little lace paired with a red lip.

Guys: you don’t always have to play it safe with a t-shirt and jeans. Polkadots, tartan and quirky prints are everywhere right now, and make a much bigger statement than a plain Fred Perry t-shirt. If you’re not one to sway towards a more eclectic colour palette, go for an open dark denim shirt with a plain tee underneath, or button it up and roll up your sleeves for a more preppy look. If you’re heading to a formal event, you can never go wrong with a suit on a night out; try a slimline grey jacket and trouser combo from River Island. Jumpers are always a safe bet but stay away from v-necks unless you want to look like an extra from Geordie Shore.

Autumn/Winter ’13 is all about trying something new, so don’t be afraid to rock something out of your comfort zone. I expect to be seeing a lot more stylish people on campus!