Miley Cyrus: In her pre-twerking days.

Editors’ Letters: “Life Lessons with Miley”

There comes a point in every girl’s life where you just need to style your hair like Angelica Pickles’ favourite Cynthia doll and crassly gyrate with Robin Thicke whilst vigorously rubbing your vagina with a foam finger. For Miley Cyrus, that time was August 25 2013.

Ever since that fateful night many celebrity scandals ago, Miley suddenly became social media’s most wanted and has faced an array of criticism. The paparazzi seem to be waiting for her next move with bated breath as she actively does
everything in her power to destroy her Disney girl image.

So what if she lives on the wild side, forgets to cover her nipples and sticks her tongue out at every given opportunity? She’s a young girl loving life…

Straying away from trying to tame the girl that clearly can’t be tamed, let me be the first to say, I absolutely LOVE Miley. She entertained me growing up and now reassures me that 20 doesn’t mean turning into an adult overnight but rather experimenting with all things dirty and reckless. So what if she lives on the wild side, forgets to cover her nipples and sticks her tongue out at every given opportunity? She’s a young girl loving life and quite frankly I think we could all do with a slice of Cyrus pie. I mean who doesn’t want to lick a hammer and swing naked from a wrecking ball?

You’re probably reading this now shaking your head in disapproval and mentally judging me for being #TeamMiley, but before you start sharpening your pitchforks, I will say that if I’ve learnt anything from Cyrus-gate, it’s that people are going to criticise you no matter what you do. You have to make a choice between living to please other people
and living to please yourself.

Taking the focus off Miley and speaking more generally, choosing to live as you please, to do what you want and damn the world is probably the most courageous thing any young adult could do at this stage of their life. We are so conditioned to want to fit in and so fearful of breaking the mould that we’d rather suppress our desires than give in to them if it means avoiding criticism.

Being 20 should mean having the freedom to be as adventurous as we like. Who knows, we could be the
generation to bypass the mid-life crisis because we’ve already acted on every impulse and taken every chance. I’m not saying we do a total 180 and end up in rehab like the majority of rebellious celebs; what I am proposing is that next time we find ourselves in a situation where we have a choice to make, why not make the wrong one?

There’s no law that tells us we have to be perfect all the time. So let your hair down and remember, everything in moderation…even moderation.

[divider]

Header image courtesy of: Flickr/rwoan