Photo: somegeekintn

Delay of SU online book sale causes concerns

The launch of the Students’ Union (SU) new-format online book sale has been delayed due to technical problems.

The system was meant to be ready for the beginning of term, so new and existing students alike could buy their course books.

In previous years, there had been one overarching book sale in Week 1, Term 1. This year, however, there will be the opportunity to buy books all-year-round, and to easily view which books are available for purchase. Students looking to sell their books may also find it easier to locate potential buyers.

Cosmo March, democracy and development officer at the SU, said: “Like with any newly-developed software, a lot of testing is required to make sure it runs without problems.

“Given that the system will benefit hundreds of students and will run all-year-round, we want to make sure we get it just right and don’t rush the job. We hope to have the system launched on Monday 14 October, but this is not set in stone.”

Jordan Wyatt, first-year Computer Science student, complained: “Essentially the delay of the book sale is a massive hassle… because we haven’t actually been informed as to what’s going on.

“We’ve had more information about plant and poster sales as opposed to information about books often needed to help advance in our course.

“Paying £50 for a textbook I’m not guaranteed to even use at this point isn’t really an option for me.

“When a lecturer repeatedly advises you to buy a book which… you could have already gotten relatively cheaply, it’s a bit frustrating being left in the blue.”

However, Mr March insisted that the new system will be a benefit once in place: “A flaw [of the old system] was that it was just at the start of term, and was incredibly congested with huge queues.

“The online system means students can buy and sell books whenever without enduring the endless queuing. It also removes the issue of students stealing books from other students at a second-hand book sale that was a huge financial risk to the SU.”

Last year’s system meant the SU had to collect 5000 used books from students in under six hours. The books were cataloged, sometimes inaccurately, and stored in the Copper Rooms. Books were also sometimes lost, stolen or sold for the wrong price.

Previously, the SU took 15 percent of the profit from each book in order to offset the costs of the book sale. This year, however, the seller will be required to pay a £1 administration charge.

In most cases, this will mean an increase in profit for sellers. A student selling a textbook for £20 will be able to receive a 95 percent profit instead of an 85 percent profit under last year’s profit charges.

Potential buyers will be able to search for a specific book, their course or a module, and the system will return all the relevant books in stock. If the supplier is a student, the buyer and seller will be put in contact in order that they can complete the transfer between themselves; if the supplier is a company, the book will be delivered to the buyer’s home.

Mr March added: “I hope that lots of students use the system, making their lives a lot easier and saving them money.”