Photo: Warwick SU

Autumn Elections results released

The results of the 2013 Warwick Students’ Union (SU) autumn elections were published on Friday 19 October, setting in motion what looks set to be an exciting year for Warwick student politics.

In the run-up to the announcement, students were able to vote on their representatives in a number of positions, such as subject faculty representatives, NUS conference delegates and student councillors.

The autumn elections serve as a precursor to the elections in term 2, when voting on sabbatical officers for the next academic year is opened.

Second-year History student Remy Osman was one of four individuals elected to the position of second-year student councillor, along with Pascale Dory, Anna Hepburn and Michael Yip.

Mr Osman, with tongue firmly in-cheek, commented: “The people have rediscovered the spirit of 1688, and moved to end tyranny. I hope to use the power vested in me to vote against silly union laws which limit students’ freedom of choice and impose ideology on the whole student population.

“Free printer credits and cheaper union prices would also be nice.”

Isaac Leigh is one of Remy Osman’s third-year equivalents, in the position of third-year student councillor.

He said: “I’m absolutely delighted; I was running against some really strong candidates and I want to make the most of this amazing opportunity.

“First and foremost I want to be somebody my fellow third years can approach and trust; it’s about them, not me. But I do want to push for better academic feedback and more contact hours for students on their behalf.”

Former president of Warwick SU, Nick Swain, was elected as a postgraduate student councillor.

Mr Swain’s position marks a personal success in student politics, following his failure to extend his presidential tenure in last year’s sabbatical officer elections.

The conclusion of the autumn elections does not, however, signal the end for student politics in 2013, as voting for the hall society elections opens soon.

Students looking for more information on upcoming elections should visit this webpage.