Photo: Chris Hackett

Warwick freshers are Boar-bling with excitement

The University of Warwick’s student newspaper, the Boar, is hitting freshers’ kitchens across campus this week.

Freshers have been moving into on-campus accommodation this weekend, including Rootes, Jack Martin, Arthur Vick and Westwood.

They will be enjoying the host Students’ Union (SU) events being offered over the next two weeks.

The Boar asked a number of freshers what they are most looking forward to over the coming year.

Nancy Sampoorna, first-year Economics student, said: “I’m looking forward to meeting people with different ideas, making the most of the new opportunities available at university and learning from leading academics.”

Psychology fresher Nicole Hyare told the Boar: “I can’t wait for a whole new life experience, both academic and social, at one of the UK’s most reputable universities.”

Ben Sundell, president of Warwick SU, had welcoming words as well as advice for incoming students. He said: “Congratulations on making it to Warwick and a massive welcome from all of us here at the SU!

“Freshers is an amazing time to meet new people, try new things, and really get stuck into whatever it is you want to do here.

“Equally remember that you should never feel pressured to do anything you don’t want to – if you are worried about any aspect of life here, come and talk to one of the Sabbatical Officers – we were all students here and we’ve been through it all.

“My top tip for surviving Freshers is to make sure you buy lots of fruit to keep in your room.

“Many of you might be going out a lot, or be making quick meals in the first couple of weeks, so make sure you give your bodies some good stuff too!”

Freshers events include the MTV Welcome Party, Crash, the Freshers Party with Wretch 32, and even a performance from a hypnotist.

Students have been tweeting the Warwick SU Ents department expressing their excitement about the next two weeks.

First-year student Ben Wood tweeted: “So glad I got my Freshers passport before they ran out! Going to be a crazy fortnight!”

As well as the Freshers passes, which allow first-year students to go to any Freshers event for a set price over the two weeks, individual tickets for the first Pop!, the Paint Party, and Drop have already sold out.

The events look set to be busier than ever.

English Literature first-year Laura Hall said: “I am looking forward to meeting some incredible new people that I would never have had the chance to meet before, and the chance to grow and develop away from my home town.”

“I can’t wait to know that I made the right choice when I decided to say goodbye to my high school days,” added Politics and International Studies fresher Danesh Sethna.

In this issue, the Boar aims to give students an insight into life at Warwick, what to expect at University, and invaluable tips and information.

The Boar is the only student-run print newspaper on campus and reaches about 6,000 students. The newspaper is published fortnightly on Wednesday, and the website (theboar.org) receives over 40,000 hits per month.

The publication is a society at the SU, however it is financially and editorially independent.

Each issue covers a range of news, opinion, current affairs, culture and sport.

In September 2013 the newspaper won the Publication of the Year Award by the Guardian’s Ones to Watch website.

It is constantly looking for new members and writers. Details of how to join the Boar can be found throughout this issue.