The challenge for a wider Warwick

By now you’ll have received a hefty amount of information from the Student Union (SU) about what is going to come your way during your three years at Warwick. You’ll no doubt have become acquainted with the sabbatical team in your Freshers guides and had a look at the people who will be representing your views and concerns about student life this academic year. You will meet this year’s SU president, Ben Sundell, at the welcome talk on the first day of term and you should pay particular attention to one of Ben’s main priorities. His intention to “develop the University and SU’s Widening Participation Agendas” is of paramount importance.

The longevity of these [Widening Participation] schemes however depends on you and other students

Widening Participation is essentially numerous outreach programmes which strive to improve access to Higher Education which can benefit all regardless of economic or social status. The University of Warwick already provides a wealth of outreach programmes. Programme such as SU’s, student-run, Inspire and a Warwick and Coventry University collaborative Student Progression Ambassadorial scheme, where students mentor school pupils on the benefits of Higher Education.

Warwick Volunteers also have strong links with Coventry and Warwickshire primary schools. We are in a good position but it can be much better.

This year then, I have a challenge for Freshers and returning students to get involved with and wave the flagship of such initiatives. Inspire are already planning to expand the geography of their catchment areas to include West Midlands students who lack the benefit of having University students, like in Coventry or Warwick, based near them.inspirebrandedwhite

The Student Progression team are also continuing with their strong rapport with Coventry University and expanding to some more schools in Leamington and Coventry. The longevity of these schemes however depends on you and other students.

I have worked as a group leader on a year 10 and year 12 summer school here at Warwick and with the Student Progression team I have also mentored year nines. I cannot express how important it is for pupils to have student role models. It is no secret that we form bonds to those closer to our own age and for to prospective students to personally see what they could achieve through Higher Education; then it makes the whole concept of University life something very tangible and real for them.

I have seen for myself some of the preconceptions young people, parents, guardians and others can have of university. The cultural misnomer of the stuffy and vivaciously intelligent Oxbridge student can weave itself into schools and become the primary example of student life for school children and indeed those who did not attend university.

This is simply not wholly true as we all know and so having a student actually levelling with pupils on all aspects of university life; from the subjects, to the social side is crucial in order to break to down false barriers. On the flip side of this, I’d appreciate if someone broke down my parents’ perception that I go out every other night at university because I promise that is another misnomer (I promise).

Statistically and economically there are such things as disadvantaged areas but a greater resurgence of productive spirit from our university and others can make sure that information on Higher Education -as an advantageous and potential life avenue- is delivered in the most honest and useful manner it can be.

So Freshers I challenge you to work alongside Warwick’s Widening Participation schemes and share your own experiences to the generation who can and will hopefully follow in your footsteps.

Images courtesy of the University of Warwick and Warwick SU