Photo: Ones to Watch

The Boar voted top student publication in the country

The University of Warwick students’ newspaper has been chosen as the Ones to Watch Student Publication of the Year for 2013.

The winner of the award was announced yesterday (September 1) after being chosen from a shortlist of three.

George Ryan, current editor of the Boar, said: “We are delighted to have been selected as Student Publication of the Year. It just goes to show that all the hard work that is put in by students really does pay off.

“We also received the highest number of public votes, which shows how much the paper means to a large number of people.

“This is a fantastic way to start our 40th anniversary celebrations, and we hope is the first of many successes of the forthcoming year.”

The Boar was nominated for the longlist after it was chosen as the Student Publication of the Month back in February 2013.

A public vote was held to assess the popularity of the newspapers, and the publication made it onto the shortlist after receiving the most votes.

The winner was then decided by judges and the Ones to Watch team, after all of the shortlist’s content over the past year was evaluated.

The other publications on the shortlist were the University of Sheffield’s Forge Today and the University of Southampton’s Wessex Scene, who provided stiff competition.

Ones to Watch said that the Boar just edged ahead of the other two publications, with an impressive website design and a rotating splash.

It has also recently highlighted a number of articles from the students’ newspaper.

Judge Lucy Sherriff, editor of Huffington Post Students, commented: “The Boar stood out as a winner for the amount of thought and effort put into producing exclusive content – including FOIs – as well as breaking news.

“Its content is intuitive and is really tailored towards a student audience.”

A member of the Ones to Watch team said of the publication: “The articles on the Boar are always varied – lots of variety when it comes to tone, topic, features and comment. I feel that the articles they write aren’t just generic pieces and take a unique view.”

Another added: “They have particularly interesting and in-depth features and comment pieces, and usually cover rather original and thoughtful topics, avoiding clichés.

“The Boar has always been the most reliable for me when I’m in need of a good piece to put on Ones to Watch. Their comment and feature pieces are usually substantially above average.”

Ones to Watch is run by the Guardian newspaper’s student section. It monitors nearly 100 student newspapers every day and chooses the best articles to feature on its website.

The Boar celebrates its 40th anniversary in October, for which it will be hosting a series of events.

Freshers or new writers wishing to become a part of the Boar team can join the Facebook group here.

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.