Flickr: Matt Haughey

Study gives hope for mothers suffering recurrent miscarriage

New data published by a team of researchers at Warwick University and University Hospitals Coventry & Warwickshire NHS trust gives hope to women suffering from recurrent miscarriage.

Miscarriage has been the topic of debate and controversy in the medical field due to the on-going search for a suitable and effective treatment accessible to clinicians.

Recent studies conducted by Professor Jan Brosens and his team at Warwick Medical School have  revealed vital information surrounding the negative effect of high levels of natural killer cells (NK cells) in pregnant women and the increased likelihood of miscarriage.

The study claims that elevated uterine NK cells in the lining of the womb indicate deficient steroid production, which is a contributing factor to miscarriage due to the reduced formation of essential fats and vitamins.

Warwick Medical School’s Professor of Obstretics, Siobhan Quenby stated: “This work is really exciting because after years of controversy and doubt we have a crucial breakthrough.

“This means, quite simply, that we have excellent scientific justification for steroid based treatment to prevent miscarriage.”

The data has since been published in The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism.