“Getting prostitutes in my car and killing them”

gta v logoo

[divider]

As I was heading back from the Blue’s Kitchen bar in Camden last Monday night after a friend’s birthday celebration, I noticed a huge line of people outside GAME snaking around the corner, just off the High Street.

Curious as to what they were up to, I inquired and was informed they were waiting for midnight to get their hands on a copy of the new Grand Theft Auto game (GTA 5).

I’d pretty much renounced video games during uni except for the occasional multiplayer Halo battle with my housemates, but I was familiar with the strange allure of this game having had my first experience of picking up prostitutes in my car and killing them (see video) at the tender age of about twelve.

[divider]

[divider]
I gave my friend my iPhone to help me film and set about trying to get an idea of why these people couldn’t wait to get their hands on this game, which reportedly made £496 million in worldwide sales on its release day.
Some were perhaps understandably shy of declaring their love of virtual murder, robbery and — notably in this latest instalment — torture, but eventually I found a few people willing to chat.

Females in the queue were notable by their absence. The only one I managed to speak with was the mother of a schoolboy obviously there to buy the 18-rated game for him (sadly they were camera shy).

On the night bus home, there were at least a couple of people clutching GTA carrier bags. One unlucky fellow from Colindale who was mugged for his copy is recovering in hospital with stab wounds.

I probably won’t be getting a copy myself, only because the game sounds too damn good and my degree is too damn important.