The mountain range in Peru. Photo: Wikimedia Commons

Warwick climber missing in Peru

Fourth-year Maths undergraduate Thomas Jagger has been declared missing in the Ancash region of Peru after attempting to reach the summit of the mountain Pisco.

The 22-year-old Derbyshire resident, who was a member of the Warwick Mountains society and has been described as an experienced rock and ice climber, disappeared when he set off alone to scale the summit, which lies at 19,000 ft.

He originally had been climbing the mountain with a fellow fourth-year Maths student, Luke Dyer. However, Mr Dyer had fallen ill and Mr Jagger left him behind at a base camp to recover, proceeding to the summit alone on Thursday 26 July.

He has not been seen since, and was reported missing on July 27. It was believed that after he left base camp for the summit, there was a storm on the mountain.

Police have assumed that he disappeared whilst on a route from Llanganuco ravine in the direction of Pisco mountain in the Cordillera Blanca range.

The family of Mr Jagger has asked for privacy and to be given time to come to terms with what has happened.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office said in a statement: “We were notified on July 27 that a British national, Thomas Jagger, has been reported missing in Huaraz, Peru.

“We are providing consular assistance to his family at this difficult time.”

An extensive search has been underway, but was suspended two days ago.

Warwick University has released a statement: “We are following the media reports with concern. We do still hope that he will be found alive but we know that the chance of that happening recedes with each day that passes.

“Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this time.”

Full report to follow.