Photo: Ones to Watch

The Boar nominated for national student media award

The University of Warwick’s student newspaper has been nominated for the Ones to Watch Student Publication of the Year Award.

The Boar was named the website’s Student Publication of the Month in February 2013, and as a result has made its way onto the longlist for the prestigious yearly award.

In order to reach the shortlist of the top three publications, the Boar requires as many votes as possible from the general public on the voting page.

George Ryan, current editor of the Boar, commented: “We are delighted to have been nominated for Publication of the Year by Ones to Watch.

“We’ve had scores of articles picked up by the website, which trawls through student papers across the country picking out the best articles, and we were chosen as Publication of the Month back in February.

“It is testament to the huge amount of effort that all our writers and executive team put into the publication and proves that the hard work really does pay off.

“Our brand new website really shows off our writers’ work and encourages people to write specific content for online, which helps students’ writing reach an audience much further away than the bubble.

“This is a great time for the paper as we enter our 40th year and winning this award would mean the world to everyone involved, so please do vote for us!”

The Boar has been nominated for the award for the second year running, as well as being named the second Most Improved Society of the Year at the University of Warwick’s Societies Awards 2013.

Ones to Watch aims to showcase the work of the best aspiring journalists across the country, and provides a convenient way for people to access the best of the UK’s student media.

Voting for the Student Publication of the Year Award closes on Sunday 18 August.