Luis Suarez (pictured playing for Uruguay) has provoked defiance from Liverpool. photo: jikatu

Liverpool finally show defiance and pride

Considering the innumerable ways in which Luis Suarez has made the headlines since his move from Ajax to Liverpool in 2011 and the various times his character has been found wanting on the pitch, it comes as something of a surprise that it has taken this long for those in suits to give him a proper telling-off.

Although no one would question Suarez’s ability as a footballer, his conduct on the pitch has been called into question on numerous occasions. Be it hunger pangs forcing him to take an impulsive bite out of an opponent, or the alleged racial abuse of another professional, the one guarantee with the Uruguayan forward is that he makes the headlines.

Despite such obvious transgressions Liverpool’s hierarchy and fans have supported Suarez as if he was born down the road from Anfield, defending him whilst the rest of the world rushed to condemn him.

Such support had a damaging effect on the club, with former manager and Reds icon Kenny Dalglish almost certainly paying the price for supporting the Uruguayan.

Even his team-mates did not escape censure, invoking outrage after an ill-advised T-shirt campaign absolving him from accusations of racism. Most in the media attacked the club for defending the indefensible: Sir Alex Ferguson claimed the forward should never play for the club again.

Removing all moral relativism from the situation, it becomes perfectly clear why the club and fans adopted such a passionate stance when defending their number seven. Put simply, they need him.

After dismal inactivity in last summer’s transfer window, LFC were left with only two recognised strikers, Suarez and the talented but inexperienced Fabio Borini.

Make no mistake, Suarez carried Liverpool on his shoulders for the first six months of the last season, stepping up to the plate to score crucial goals when club and manager needed him the most.

Liverpool fans are an overly sentimental bunch and though many were left disillusioned by Fernando Torres’ transfer to Chelsea, the Anfield crowd are seemingly incapable of letting go of the romantic connotations of their footballing idols.

Hence when Suarez began an implicit media campaign constructed of well-timed interviews and carefully-worded quotes in an attempt to orchestrate a move to Real Madrid this summer, many fans still refused to give up on the club’s talisman.

The ovation for Suarez at Steven Gerrard’s recent testimonial reflected an Anfield crowd playing the only card they had left: unconditional support in a desperate attempt to convince him to stay.

It was only following the forward’s interview with The Guardian’s Sid Lowe this Tuesday that fans’ view on Suarez turned from admiration to anger.

If you went for a stroll down social media lane on Tuesday evening you weren’t in for a pretty sight. Despairing Liverpool fans angrily tweeted about the Uruguayan’s betrayal, whilst gleeful Arsenal fans gloated over what they perceived as a decisive twist in this long-running saga.

The Anfield crowd are seemingly incapable of letting go of the romantic connotations of their footballing idols

Suarez had spoken, and the gaze of the footballing media now turned to what response would arrive from the club’s hierarchy at such an open display of disrespect.

Many LFC fans have rightly bemoaned the lack of clarity associated with the club’s infrastructure and considering the awful handling of Suarez’ alleged racial abuse of Patrice Evra, many fans were left fearing how the club would respond to the latest problem the striker had caused them.

However, in their handling of Suarez’ most recent transgression Liverpool have shown that they are learning from past mistakes, displaying the ambition and strength (at least in rhetoric) required to drag the club forward.

Brendan Rodgers, though widely mocked for his verbose nature, has handled the matter with a great deal of dignity, repeatedly emphasising that the club have no desire to sell their prized asset and that he is integral to the club’s plans for improving on last season’s seventh-place finish.

What was well overdue was an official statement from the top of the club’s hierarchy, and following these latest interviews, John W Henry finally responded.

The Liverpool owner’s blunt dismissal of there being any possibility of Suarez leaving the club for a rival was a sorely-needed piece of assertive PR, a sign of intent and an explicit statement that the club will no longer be bullied.

Liverpool have shown that they are learning from past mistakes, displaying the ambition and strength required to drag the club forward

Henry logically argued that Suarez is simply too integral to what Rodgers is trying to achieve for the club to consider selling him, with the lack of obvious replacements so late in the window another factor that prohibits such a sale.

Whether this is truly the case remains to be seen, though it is now almost certain that Suarez will not be moving to the Emirates. A big offer from a European power may be considered, should the club acquire a worthy replacement in time, but if one does not materialise Suarez will return to Anfield with his tail between his legs. At the time of writing, that is exactly what has happened.

While Liverpool fans celebrate their club’s show of defiance, Henry’s statement only served to reinforce the club’s need for a truly imposing figure at the top of its hierarchy in the UK. Henry shouldn’t have to be flown out to save the day and though his latest comments may please many fans, so would the appointment of a more imposing commercial director than the leather-clad, motorcycle riding Ian Ayre.

Regardless of the club’s infrastructural shortcomings and the need for more action in the transfer market, it is reassuring to see that Liverpool finally have their bite back.