Photo: Flickr: Yutaka Tsutano

5 most useful uni gadgets

So today is results day, and you’re going to university! Getting into university is a massive achievement for anyone, and it’s the start of what’s sure to be one of the most exciting times in your life. Before you come to university, you’re bound to have plenty of questions – what will lectures be like? What societies should I join? What should I bring with me? Here’s a list of my top 5 gadgets to bring to uni. Pack them if you can!

Smartphone
Having a phone that allows you to keep track of lectures, message your friends and (occasionally) call home is incredibly useful whilst at university. Warwick even has two dedicated apps available for smartphones. Start.Warwick allows you to check your timetable, look up the bus schedule, search for Warwick staff & student email addresses and lots of other useful tools. The library app lets you search for books, see where the free computers are, and even has a floorplan of the library in case you’re not sure where a specific section is. Having Facebook on the go is a plus as well, as many societies organise events or arrange impromptu meet-ups that way. Although being contactable at all times can get a little wearing, a smartphone is definitely a good tool to keep up with what’s going on.

Laptop
Laptops can be expensive, but there are some great deals for students out there that can help cut down the price. You’ll find them very useful, especially in term 3, when the library is crowded and all of the computers are taken. In many subjects, laptops are the preferred form of note-taking, but be aware that they are impractical for writing in many subjects, such as physics, where there are a lot of diagrams. The convenience compared to a desktop is worth it for the trade off in power for most people, though if you do a lot of high performance gaming or computing, a desktop will definitely give you more bang for your buck.

Games console
It doesn’t matter what it is, as long as there are some fun multiplayer games! Having a flat Mario-Kart or Wii Sports session is a great way to bond (or maybe make enemies, depending on how competitive you are…) A new Xbox 360 or PS4 may not be the best idea if you’re planning on house parties, but it might be worth chipping in for a used console. If there’s 10 of you in a flat, you can pick up a used PS2 and a TV for less than £15 each. Not bad for the entertainment value!

DVD player
Despite what Netflix will tell you, the disc isn’t dead yet. They are, however, very cheap if you’re looking for older movies in standard definition. You can often pick up classic movies for one or two pounds, and have your own movie night without the expense of the cinema. Of course, if you’re a regular movie goer, a Netflix or Lovefilm instant subscription may be more cost effective. Many laptops have DVD functionality built in, so check before you buy. However, if your laptop doesn’t have a disc drive (like mine), then a DVD player is a good investment.

Music player
At university, you’ll find yourself surrounded by music. Whether it’s Radio Warwick playing in the atrium, or a live band at the copper rooms, music is an intrinsic part of the university experience. Having your own music player not only means that you can be the DJ when you’ve got friends over at the flat, but it also allows you to plug in and escape at the library or on the bus. Just try not to play it too loud or too late, unless you want some angry flatmates.