Warwick Science Park photo; Media Library

Warwick strengthens Brazilian business ties

Visits to the University of Warwick Science Park has strengthened the University’s and the UK’s business ties with Brazil.

On 24 May 2013, 20 delegates from Brazilian entrepreneurship and innovation related organisations and businesses were welcomed into the Science Park as part of a Europe-wide tour.

The aim of the visit was to share experiences from innovative businesses and to develop joint support programmes.

The University of Warwick and its Science Park welcomed the delegation, showing its close cooperation in helping businesses develop.

The visit was organised by Anprotec, Brazil’s science park and business incubator association, and the EBN, the European equivalent.

The organisations that visited included the Brazilian Ministry for Science, Technology & Innovation, the University of Rio Grande do Sul and the Tech Incubator MIDI.

A visit to the University of Warwick Science Park was regarded highly by the delegation as it was seen as a worldwide exemplar in its field.

The University’s relationship with Anprotec as well as the Science Park’s involvement in the UK Market Access Program (UKMAP) is expected to lead to inward investment from Brazil into the UK, particularly in Coventry and Warwickshire.

Through the program, facilitated access for UK SMEs (subject-matter experts) will be given to the Brazilian marke through Anprotec’s network of Science Parks and Business Incubation Centres.

Dirk Schafer, technical marking assistant at the Science Park office, commented: “Brazil is regarded as one of the fastest growing economies and it is embracing the need for a strong knowledge base and innovation culture.

“The University of Warwick Science Park is an exemplar in this field and Anprotec wants to learn from us how we go about helping businesses and how we access University research for the benefit of businesses.

“It also brings huge potential for attracting Brazilian investment here too and vice versa could help UK businesses access Brazilian markets so it is very much a win-win opportunity for all the parties involved.”

The University’s cooperation with Anprotec strengthened Brazilian ties already developed through the University’s ‘Science Without Borders’ programme, an exchange programme for students, researchers and businesses.

The University’s ‘Brazil Partnership Fund’ also encourages collaborations and research partnerships with Brazil as well as encourage business collaboration through the Higher Education Innovation Fund (HEIF).

Anna Blackaby, a spokesperson for the University of Warwick, commented: “The University of Warwick has strong links with Brazil.

“The University takes part in the ‘Science without Borders’ programme which means we currently have eight visiting undergraduates and two postgraduates from Brazil. We are expecting a further 16 visiting undergraduates from September.

“We also have the Brazil Partnership Fund which supports collaborative research between Warwick and Brazilian universities and research institutions.

“This visit by the Brazilian delegation can only strengthen our ties with the country.”